What language?

  • adjedeck <adjedeck@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2003
      hi, after introducing myself, i would like to start with the program
      (ming). I started learning visual basic, as courses in this seems to
      be most presented. However, i have no programming experience, and
      seeing as i want to start developing artificial intelligence, i think
      i am on the wrong track. Should i stick with it for a while and then
      switch to a better language, or should i start with something else?
      I dont consider myself a newbie to artificial intelligence, but i am
      a newbie at programming. Pls show me the way to be able to implement
      my ideas
    • predictorx
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2003
        In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, "adjedeck
        <adjedeck@y...>" wrote:
        "I started learning visual basic, as courses in this seems to be most
        presented. However, i have no programming experience, and seeing as i
        want to start developing artificial intelligence, i think i am on the
        wrong track. Should i stick with it for a while and then switch to a
        better language, or should i start with something else?"

        As with any development project, A.I. language requirements will
        depend on many factors. The two factors which are probably most
        important, and which are routinely ignored in these discussions are:
        developer familarity with tools and availability of tools (often a
        function of tool cost). If you have ready access to VB training and a
        VB development environment, then VB may be a logical choice. Most
        languages are very flexible, but some are better fits to a given
        problem than others. To try to assess the match of tool to problem,
        we'd need to know more about the kind of problems you wish to solve-
        can you be more specific?
      • adjedeck <adjedeck@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2003
          i am not sure if this is being more specific, but here it goes:
          I want a platform that allows me to try different approaches to AI,
          neural networx, a-life, to support or disprove my thoughts on these
          subjects. The requirements of these platforms are that they should
          not be so time-consuming to learn that i will lose interest, and
          forget why i started learning them in the first place. I want to
          formulate my thoughts into code, run them and see what happens so i
          can adjust, or finetune my views. My interest lies in the concepts,
          the research, the laboratory-aspect, not the programs which may allow
          me to do them...
          Maybe i am lazy?
        • Ed Minchau <spider_boris@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
            <adjedeck@y...>" <adjedeck@y...> wrote:
            > i am not sure if this is being more specific, but here it goes:
            > I want a platform that allows me to try different approaches to AI,
            > neural networx, a-life, to support or disprove my thoughts on these
            > subjects. The requirements of these platforms are that they should
            > not be so time-consuming to learn that i will lose interest, and
            > forget why i started learning them in the first place. I want to
            > formulate my thoughts into code, run them and see what happens so i
            > can adjust, or finetune my views. My interest lies in the concepts,
            > the research, the laboratory-aspect, not the programs which may
            allow
            > me to do them...
            > Maybe i am lazy?

            Nope, that's being practical. If you already know and have access to
            one language already, then use it. Most of the concepts in AI can be
            tested on pretty much any platform; you could write a neural net or a-
            life program on a Vic-20 in BASIC if you had to - I did.

            The application is the key here: you are just looking for quick-and-
            dirty results, nothing fancy.

            Now, if you don't know any programming languages at all, then any of
            Visual Basic, c++, pascal, Fortran, Lisp or any of the languages Alan
            Grimes mentioned will do for your purposes. Pick whichever one has
            the thinnest instruction manual. ;)

            :) ed
          • adjedeck <adjedeck@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
              > Nope, that's being practical. If you already know and have access
              > one language already, then use it. Most of the concepts in AI can
              be
              > tested on pretty much any platform; you could write a neural net or
              a-
              > life program on a Vic-20 in BASIC if you had to - I did.
              >
              > The application is the key here: you are just looking for quick-and-
              > dirty results, nothing fancy.
              >
              > Now, if you don't know any programming languages at all, then any
              of
              > Visual Basic, c++, pascal, Fortran, Lisp or any of the languages
              Alan
              > Grimes mentioned will do for your purposes. Pick whichever one has
              > the thinnest instruction manual. ;)
              >
              > :) ed

              Thanx, this is actually what i wanted to have confirmed :-)