News from Science & Consciousness Review

  • Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 14, 2002
      Dear all,

      Science & Consciousness Review (http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/) has released
      new articles and reviews:
      _____________________

      NEWS / HISTORY

      The description and definition of consciousness
      By Alex Green

      "Empirical descriptions of consciousness have been available in Western
      literature for centuries and in Eastern literature for millennia. Western
      empirical descriptions are due largely to Descartes and Kant but William
      James and Hermann Weyl have also made important contributions.

      It is often maintained that no-one can define consciousness but there exists
      a clear empirical description of consciousness as an observation of the
      space, time and content of our minds (where the content contains intuitions
      and feelings). Perhaps the claim that no-one can define consciousness is
      frustration at the fact that no-one can explain consciousness."

      Read the full article at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Sep02_DefConsc.htm
      _____________________

      NEWS IN BRIEF

      - Live One Hour Online Chat with David Chalmers
      - BBC Radio: Emotional Rollercoaster
      - Synaesthesia: A Case Study of Discordant Monozygotic Twins
      - International Society for Research on Emotions
      - Call for abstracts: Toward a Science of Consciousness 2003

      Full access at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
      _____________________

      ARCHIVES

      Previous issues of Science & Consciousness Review can be found at
      http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html We have now issues from April to
      August 2002, including all articles, reviews and news in brief.
      _____________________

      ABOUT SCIENCE & CONSCIOUSNESS REVIEW

      SCR is a community-building effort. Many scientific communities study how
      the human brain makes possible perception, memory, and even attention. But
      for historical reasons, we have no scientific community for exploring
      consciousness --- including our own experiences of the world, of each other
      and of ourselves. It is probably the most important neglected topic in
      science.

      Students and scientists all over the world are vitally interested. Hardly a
      week goes by without another major article in headline journals like Science
      and Nature. The flow of evidence has increased enormously. But so far we
      have few institutional resources for teaching, learning, and sharing this
      information.

      In the last decade we have seen new, high quality journals, professional
      societies, and regular meetings. They are vitally important.

      But many people feel that we need an international forum to build a sense of
      shared community. SCR is an effort in that direction.

      CONTRIBUTE!

      Please send your contributions to us. Instructions for authors can be found
      at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/author_instructions.html
      _____________________

      Sincerely,

      Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
      Managing Editor
    • Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
        Dear member of this list,

        Science & Consciousness Review (http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/) has released
        new articles and reviews:
        _____________________

        NEWS ARTICLE:

        Recovering consciousness: A timeline
        - By Bernard J. Baars

        There has been a steady growth of the word "consciousness" in science. It
        goes from almost zero citations in 1950 to more than 1400 in the year 2000.
        Here, we present numbers and graphs collected from the biomedical
        literature, using PubMed. They seem to confirm that consciousness is back in
        science!

        Full article at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Sep02_RecoveringConsc.htm
        _____________________

        NEWS IN BRIEF

        - New issue: Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences
        - Suggested link: "All In the Mind", a radio program on the mind
        - Suggested link: Intro to consciousness on Tuscon
        - Doctors create out-of-body sensations
        - Neuropsychology: Stimulating illusory own-body perceptions

        Full access at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
        _____________________

        UPCOMING CONFERENCES
        in October

        Oct 3-4
        Rational animals?

        Oct 10-12
        The Society for Phenomenology and The Human Sciences

        Oct 17-20
        Carleton Philosophy & Neuroscience Conference

        See the Conference page at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/conf.html
        _____________________

        ARCHIVES

        Previous issues of Science & Consciousness Review can be found at
        http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html We have now issues from April to
        September, including all articles, reviews and news in brief.
        _____________________

        CONTRIBUTE!

        Please send your contributions to us. Articles are read by hundreds of
        unique visitors each week. Since its launch in April 2002, SCR has had
        around 200.000 visits!

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 8, 2002
          Dear member of this list,

          Science & Consciousness Review (http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/) has released
          new articles and reviews:
          _____________________

          NEWS ARTICLE

          Integration in the brain
          - The Subconscious Alteration of Visual Perception by Cross-Modal
          Integration

          By Ladan Shams

          It is clear that the information processed by the different sensory
          modalities are integrated into a coherent multisensory percept by the brain.
          However, it is not known how, nor at what level of processing, nor where in
          the brain this integration takes place. As a result, it is also not clear
          whether the combination of signals from different modalities occurs prior to
          or following conscious sensory processing.

          Full article:
          http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Oct02_IntegrBrain.htm
          _____________________

          LATEST HEADLINES

          - Can the self understand the self? Review of "Models of the self"
          - Processing fluency as the source of experiences at the fringe of
          consciousness
          - Article release: Alain Morin on Self-awareness
          - Emotion: Attention to detail
          - How distributed is visual category information in human occipito-temporal
          cortex? An fMRI study
          - Searching for a baseline: Functional imaging and the resting human brain
          - Brain activity during attentional shifts
          - Article release: Split-brain revisited
          - Suggested link: Illusions intro at BrainConnection.com
          - New research adds to understanding of conscious awareness

          See NEWS IN BRIEF at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
          _____________________

          ARCHIVES

          Previous issues of Science & Consciousness Review can be found at
          http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html We have now issues from April to
          September, including all articles, reviews and news in brief.
          _____________________

          CALL FOR MANUSCRIPTS

          Please send your contributions to us. Summaries of published scientific
          articles, 200 words or more, in easy to read language.
          Authors are encouraged to send the first 500 words of their published
          articles, rewritten in teaching style. You keep the copyright. Manuscripts
          may be lightly edited.

          See Instructions for authors:
          http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/author_instructions.html

          Sincerely,

          Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
          Managing Editor
        • Rob Thomas
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 10, 2002
            I am new to this field and am trying to learn Mozart.
            I am new to Emacs too and have installed the XEmacs on Windows 2000 Proffessional. I am facing problems compiling .oz files.
            The compiler starts and simply hangs (I tried to compile AnimatedQueens.oz available online at<http://www.mozart-oz.org/documentation/demo/AnimatedQueens.oz>). Whenever i try to close the IDE, it askes me whether to exit by killing the ozengine. Saying yes closes the application but the application hangs next time its openned!
            Moreover the ozengine too keeps on running!
            I havent yet loaded the Mozart engine on UNIX, and it seems to be a distant possibility. I am presently refering to the Mozart online documentation.
            Any help or pointers are welcome.
            Thanks already,
            regards,
            Nihar

          • Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 25, 2002
              Dear member of this list,

              Science & Consciousness Review (http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/) has released
              new articles and reviews:
              _____________________

              NEWS ARTICLE

              Do you "self-reflect" or "self-ruminate"?
              By Alain Morin

              We all spend time analyzing our inner thoughts and feelings; past research
              looked at this activity as being unitary in nature (i.e., simply focusing on
              the self), examined how frequently people introspect, and identified the
              effects of self-focus on behavior. Current studies indicate that people
              actually engage in two different types of self-analysis: self-reflection
              (enjoying analyzing the self) and self-rumination (not being able to shut
              off thoughts about the self), each leading to opposite consequences.

              Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Dec02_SelfRuminate.htm

              WITH AN ONLINE QUESTIONNAIRE!
              Can be found at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Dec02_SelfRuminate_RRQ.htm
              ____________________

              LATEST HEADLINES

              - End of the memory maker
              - Attention and emotion
              - Beyond Anger: Studying the Subconscious Nature of Rage
              - Conscious and unconscious olfaction
              - EEG activity and conscious recollection
              - Pain perception, hypnosis and 40 Hz oscillations
              - Altered states of consciousness
              - Alzheimer's disease and feeling-of-knowing in episodic memory

              Full access at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
              ____________________

              ARCHIVES

              Previous issues of Science & Consciousness Review can be found at
              http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html We have now issues from April to
              September 2002, including all articles, reviews and news in brief.
              _____________________

[...]

              ___________________

              Sincerely,

              Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
              Managing Editor
            • Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2002
                Dear member of this list,

                Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ ) has released
                new articles and reviews:
                _____________________

                NEWS ARTICLE

                ARE WE EVER UNCONSCIOUS?
                By Bernard J Baars

                Common sense tells us that we become unconscious the moment we fall asleep
                at night, and come back to full consciousness again in the morning. That
                idea was challenged when REM sleep was discovered some 5 decades ago. The
                EEG traces that signal waking consciousness are fast, irregular and low in
                voltage. Brain activity in REM sleep looks exactly like that.

                Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Dec02_Unconscious.htm
                ____________________

                LATEST HEADLINES

                - Same neural networks in conscious and unconscious learning
                - New reviews from Metapsychology Online Review
                - New issue: Dreaming
                - Different shades of perception
                - New issue: Consciousness & Cognition

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 28, 2002
                  Dear member of this list,

                  Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ ) has released
                  new articles and reviews:
                  _____________________

                  NEWS ARTICLE

                  ATOMS OF THOUGHT
                  - The microstate hypothesis of conscious states

                  By Bernard J Baars

                  William James famously pointed out that consciousness seems continuous, but
                  is rather like the flight of a bird, composed of brief flights and
                  “perchings”. For the past ten years a team of researchers led by Swiss
                  scientist Dietrich Lehmann has been building a case that conscious
                  experiences may be reflected in “microstates” of brain activity, just like
                  James' notion of the stream of consciousness.

                  Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Dec02_Atoms.htm
                  ____________________

                  PREVIOUS ARTICLES ON SCR

                  Unconscious faces cry and laugh
                  at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Oct02_UnconscFace.htm

                  The whirling dance of Working Memory
                  at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Aug02_WhirlingWM.htm

                  Pure Consciousness in Meditation and the Self
                  at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_June02_pureconsm.htm

                  Mind --- A Moving Story. An interview with Rodney Cotterill
                  at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/Interv_Aug02_Cot.htm

                  The description and definition of consciousness
                  at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Sep02_DefConsc.htm

                  ...and much more available through our archive
                  at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html
                  ____________________

                  LATEST HEADLINES

                  - More to 3-D vision than meets the eye
                  - Left brain, right brain, split brain
                  - Your undivided attention
                  - What a pain
                  - Book: Understanding Sleep and Dreaming
                  - Memory for experienced and imagined events
                  - Self-recognition: body and action

                  Full access at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
                  __________________
                  Sincerely,

                  Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
                  Managing Editor

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 9, 2003
                    Dear member of this list,

                    Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ ) has released
                    new articles and reviews:
                    _____________________

                    ARTICLE

                    CHANGING OR ESCAPING THE SELF
                    By Alain Morin

                    When we become self-aware we see who we are and what we would like to be.
                    What do we do? Do we change who we are? Or do we escape self-awareness by
                    watching TV—or worst, by drinking alcohol, doing drugs, or committing
                    suicide?

                    Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Jan03_ChangeEscSelf.htm
                    ____________________

                    LATEST HEADLINES

                    - Same neural network in conscious and unconscious learning
                    - Blindsight Modulation of Motion Perception
                    - Improbable areas in the visual brain
                    - Do animals think?
                    - New Issue: Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences
                    - New issue: Trends In Cognitive Sciences

                    Full access at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
                    ____________________

                    ARCHIVES

                    Previous issues of Science & Consciousness Review can be found at
                    http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html

                    PREVIOUS ARTICLES

                    "Atoms of thought" By Bernard J Baars
                    http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Dec02_Atoms.htm

                    "Free consciousness articles" by Thomas Z. Ramsøy
                    http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/LN_Oct02_FreeScienceOnline.htm

                    "IDA on Will: It’s no Illusion" by Stan Franklin
                    http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ED_Sep02_IDAFreeWill.htm

                    "The Biological Function of Dreaming: Threat Simulation in the Sleeping
                    Brain?" by Antti Revonsuo
                    http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/arch_July02.html

                    "Mind - A Moving Story. An interview with Rodney Cotterill" by Thomas Z.
                    Ramsøy
[...]

                    Neuropsychologist

                    The Lions Collegium
                    Tuborgvej 181
                    DK - 2400 Copenhagen NV

                    ramsoy@...
                    tzr@...

                    Homepage: http://www.ramsoy.dk (under construction)

                    Managing Editor
                    Science & Consciousness Review
                    http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/

                    Web Administrator
                    Nordic Network for Consciousness Studies
                    http://www.psy.au.dk/phd/nncs/
                  • Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 22, 2003
                      Dear member of this list,

                      Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ ) has
                      released new articles and reviews:
                      _____________________

                      NEWS ARTICLE

                      CONSCIOUSNESS LOST: THE LIGHTNING STORM OF SEIZURES

                      By Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy

                      Epilepsy is brain disorder characterized by spontaneous, repeated
                      seizures. During seizures, nerve cells fire in massive, synchronized
                      bursts. One might think of it as a massive electrical storm, with high
                      peaks and valleys of lightning spreading throughout the brain. Recently,
                      a new hypothesis about the brain basis of loss of consciousness during
                      sezures have been put forth.

                      Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20030102.html
                      ____________________

                      PREVIOUS ARTICLES ON SCR

                      Free consciousness articles – And how to find them on the Web
                      Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20021001.html

                      Recovering Consciousness: a Timeline
                      Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020904.html

                      The impossibility of not thinking
                      Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020801.html

                      ...and much more available through our archive
                      at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html
                      ____________________

                      LATEST HEADLINES

                      - Researchers identify decision-making area of the brain
                      - The eyes have it
                      - Book Review: Between Ourselves
                      - The Asymmetrical Brain

                      Access the items at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
                      __________________

                      PS!
                      Due to reconstruction of the entire site, some features will not work
                      properly.

                      __________________

                      Sincerely,

                      Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
                      Managing Editor

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 31, 2003
                        Dear member of this list,

                        Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ ) has
                        released new articles and reviews:
                        _____________________

                        NEWS ARTICLE

                        UNCONSCIOUS STATES CAST LIGHT ON CONSCIOUSNESS
                        - Evidence from persistent vegetative states

                        By Bernard J Baars

                        There are some striking similarities between unconscious states like
                        deep sleep, some comas, general anesthesia and the momentary loss of
                        consciousness that affects epileptics. These similarities stands in
                        sharp contrast to conscious states like waking and classical REM. These
                        differences are so obvious that many scientists have thought there must
                        be something fundamental about them. Studying unconscious states may be
                        very revealing of the nature of consciousness.

                        Full text: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20030103.html
                        ____________________

                        PREVIOUS ARTICLES ON SCR

                        Empty mind --- a brain disorder?
                        at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020502.html

                        Consciousness Science 2002: past, present and future
                        at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/200205.html

                        Touching what is out there
                        at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020903.html

                        Pure Consciousness in Meditation and the Self
                        at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020602.html

                        ...and much more available through our archive
                        at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html
                        ____________________

                        LATEST HEADLINES

                        - Study shows how the brain pays attention
                        - Routes to remembering: the brains behind superior memory
                        - EEG and REM vs. NREM sleep
                        - BOOK: Strangers to Ourselves: Discovering the Adaptive Unconscious

                        Full access at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
                        __________________

                        NEW FEATURE - PHILOSOPHY AND THEORY OF CONSCIOUSNESS

                        SCR is about to launch a new feature for articles on the philosophy and
                        theory of consciousness. From the page:

                        "SCR is a scientific website, which means that we focus on TESTABLE
                        ideas. Some ideas are not testable. But when philosophy or theory can be
                        subjected to empirical evidence, we are eager to publish summaries, just
                        as we publish summaries of existing scientific articles. Please consider
                        sending us your testable ideas! (The great tradition in philosophy
                        contains hundreds of empirical ideas...) "

                        Send your summaries to the Moderator (ramsoy@...)
                        __________________

                        Sincerely,

                        Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
                        Managing Editor

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 8 12:14 PM
                          Dear member of this list,

                          Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
                          new articles and reviews:
                          _______________________

                          EDITORIAL REVIEW --- COMMENTARIES ON CRICK & KOCH

                          Crick & Koch's: A new "Framework for Consciousness"
                          - By Pradeep Mutalik

                          It is not often that a top scientific journal features a lead article on
                          consciousness, and we at SCR rejoice to see Francis Crick and Christof
                          Koch’s commentary “A Framework for Consciousness,” featured in the February
                          2003 issue of Nature Neuroscience. In this article, Pradeep Mutalik reviews
                          the recent article by Crick and Koch and their description of ten aspects of
                          a framework for the scientific study of consciousness.

                          Full text at:
                          http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030201.html

                          In the next couple of weeks, Science & Consciousness Review will publish
                          more editorial commentaries on Crick & Koch's recent article.
                          _______________________

                          LATEST HEADLINES

                          - Scientist bombards brains with super-magnets to edifying effect
                          - Mind-the gap, after 65 years: visual conditioning in cortical blindness
                          - BOOK: Essential Sources in the Scientific Study of Consciousness
                          - Freely available book in Neuropsychology
                          - BOOK: Emotions in Humans and Artifacts

                          See NEWS IN BRIEF at:
                          http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
                          _______________________

                          PREVIOUS ARTICLES

                          The impossibility of not thinking
                          at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020801.html

                          Atoms of thought - The microstate hypothesis of conscious states
                          at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20021202.html

                          An Attention-Based Control Model of Consciousness (CODAM)
                          at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020601.html

                          Visit our archives at:
                          http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html
                          _______________________

                          SEND YOUR CONTRIBUTION

                          For students, teachers, scientists, and all other fans of consciousness...
                          Send your news summaries to us.

                          See more at:
                          http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/author_instructions.html

                          Sincerely,
                          Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
                          _______________________
                          Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
                          - Neuropsychologist, MA
                          www.ramsoy.dk

                          The Lions Collegium
                          Tuborgvej 181
                          2400 Copenhagen NV
                          Denmark

                          ramsoy@...
                          tzr@...

                          Managing Editor
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 17 10:32 PM
                            Dear member of this list,

                            Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
                            new articles and reviews:
                            _______________________

                            EDITORIAL REVIEW --- SECOND COMMENTARY ON CRICK & KOCH

                            Crick and Koch: A framework with many unknowns
                            - By Björn Merker

                            The paper by Crick and Koch (featured in the February 2003 issue of Nature
                            Neuroscience) presents their updated perspective on the brain in relation to
                            consciousness. It may let us gauge what we do not yet know, as much as
                            calling attention to some specific proposals. In this week's commentary,
                            Björn Merker reviews Crick & Koch's work.

                            Full text at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030202.html

                            In February, Science & Consciousness Review publishes more editorial
                            commentaries on Crick & Koch's recent article.
                            _______________________

                            LATEST HEADLINES

                            - Memory traces unbound
                            - Dreaming and Episodic Memory: A Functional Dissociation?
                            - BOOK: Being No One. The Self-Model Theory of Subjectivity
                            - BOOK: Illusion: The Phenomenal Brain

                            See NEWS IN BRIEF at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
                            _______________________

                            PREVIOUS ARTICLES

                            Are we ever unconscious?
                            at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20021201.html

                            Book Review: “Synaptic Self. How our brains become who we are” by Joseph
                            LeDoux
                            at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/reviews/20020701.html

                            Single neurons track your conscious vision
                            at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020802.html

                            Visit our archives at:
                            http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html
                            _______________________

                            SEND YOUR CONTRIBUTION

                            For students, teachers, scientists, and all other fans of consciousness...
                            Send your news summaries to us.

                            See more at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/author_instructions.html

                            Sincerely,
                            Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy

                            _______________________
                            Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy
                            - Neuropsychologist, MA
                            www.ramsoy.dk

                            The Lions Collegium
                            Tuborgvej 181
                            2400 Copenhagen NV
                            Denmark

                            ramsoy@...
                            tzr@...

                            Managing Editor
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 22 11:26 AM
                              Dear member of this list,

                              Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
                              new articles and reviews:
                              _______________________

                              EDITORIAL REVIEW --- THIRD COMMENTARY ON CRICK & KOCH

                              The Missing Self, or: 10 Ways How To Be A Zombie
                              - by John G. Taylor

                              The article by Crick and Koch is undoubtedly a first: for Nature to cave in
                              so spectacularly to the so-called ‘Framework’ proffered to them in the name
                              of neuroscience. But unfortunately the Framework gets nowhere fast, since it
                              has no real teeth to get at the underlying phenomenon of consciousness
                              itself. The Framework needs to feel right ‘from the inside’ – consciousness
                              is surely about our inner experience

                              Full text at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030203.html

                              In February, Science & Consciousness Review publishes editorial commentaries
                              on Crick & Koch's recent article in Nature Neuroscience.
                              _______________________

                              LATEST HEADLINES

                              - Neuronal synchrony does not correlate with motion coherence in cortical
                              area MT
                              - Multiple routes to memory
                              - Mapping the brain
                              - Brain imaging study sheds light on inner workings of human intelligence

                              See NEWS IN BRIEF at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
                              _______________________

                              PREVIOUS ARTICLES

                              Integration in the brain
                              at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20021002.html

                              Automaticity, unconsciousness and speech production
                              at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20020501.html

                            • Drnath <stargate777yyy@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 27 12:29 PM
                                thanks for the information
                                i did found the links interesting ,this site has a usefull database
                                and i took the liberty to bookmark it under the neurologic section of
                                my study group
                                thank again
                                -
                                -- In artificialintelligencegroup@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Zoëga

                              • ramsoy@tiscali.dk
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 5, 2003
                                  Dear member of this list,

                                  Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
                                  new articles and reviews:
                                  _______________________

                                  EDITORIAL REVIEW --- FOURTH COMMENTARY ON CRICK & KOCH

                                  A computer-based model of Crick and Koch’s Framework for Consciousness
                                  By Stan Franklin

                                  "Crick and Koch explain that a framework must not be confused with a set of
                                  hypotheses. Rather a framework for consciousness offers a point of view from
                                  which to address the problems of consciousness. It’s intended to guide
                                  research. A good framework should fit within current scientific knowledge
                                  reasonably well and should be roughly correct." In this fourth commentary on
                                  the Crick & Koch framework article, Stan Franklin implements their views in
                                  Artificial Intelligence.

                                  Full text at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030301.html

                                  *** In February and March 2003, Science & Consciousness Review publishes
                                  editorial commentaries
                                  on Crick & Koch's recent article in Nature Neuroscience.
                                  _______________________

                                  LATEST HEADLINES

                                  - Memory for rejected distractors in visual search?
                                  - Using inattentional blindness as an operational definition of unattended:
                                  The case of surface completion
                                  - BOOK: Attention and Implicit Learning
                                  - BOOK REVIEWS From Metapsychology
                                  - Love arises in the unconscious

                                  See NEWS IN BRIEF at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
                                  _______________________

                                  PREVIOUS ARTICLES

                                  Consciousness lost: The lightning storm of seizures
                                  at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20030102.html

                                  Changing or escaping the self
                                  at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/news/articles/20030101.html

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 19, 2003
                                    Science & Consciousness Review ( http://psych.pomona.edu/scr ) has released
                                    new articles and reviews:
                                    _______________________

                                    EDITORIAL REVIEW --- FIFTH COMMENTARY ON CRICK & KOCH

                                    The 10 point framework and the altogether too hard basket
                                    - By Colin Hales

                                    The large footprints of the Crick/Koch duo at the frontier of knowledge can
                                    be a little daunting, which is why I was concerned at the very first
                                    paragraph of “A Framework for Consciousness” (1). It says that qualia are
                                    too hard and ‘it appears fruitless to approach them head on’. Qualia are
                                    then tacitly assumed emergent from the framework presented. I know the work
                                    is entitled ‘A’ framework, not ‘The’ framework, but from Crick and Koch it
                                    read a little like “Qualia cannot be approached from outside the framework”.
                                    I don’t think this was the intent, but it may be that the plausible
                                    explanation they need is stopped by the framework.

                                    Full text at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/editorials/20030302.html

                                    See more commentaries of the Crick & Koch article at:
                                    http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ww_framework.html
                                    _______________________

                                    LATEST HEADLINES

                                    - NEW ISSUE - TICS
                                    - Psychology professor maps choice-making in the brain
                                    - Do dogs have minds?
                                    - Developmental prosopagnosia: A study of three patients
                                    - The three vectors of consciousness and their disturbances after brain
                                    injury

                                    See NEWS IN BRIEF at: http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html

                                    ALL PREVIOUS ARTICLES ARE FREELY AVAILABLE IN OUR ARCHIVE!

                                    Visit our archives at: