Re: Common Sense

  • nettron1000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2002
      --- In artificialintelligencegroup@y..., Donald Jacques
      <jadekyrn@y...> wrote:
      > I would submit that common sense is less a function
      > of the knowledge itself and more of the relationships
      > found in the language used to express it. In the
      > example of the boy and the ice, the assumptions were
      > borne in the "language" of the mother, not necessarily
      > in the "concepts" she intended to convey. Without any
      > experience in the language to assess the nuances of the
      > relationships between the "assumed" concepts, he lacked
      > the ability to formulate and recognize the "desired"
      > concept of potential harm to himself.

      Hmmm...so the boy's communication skills were under-developed?
      We could also say that the boy's common sense was "over-ruled" by his
      overwhelming desire to go ice skating.
      Its proven to be very difficult to pin down common sense even for a
      very young mind, though shallow, its still quite broad.

      Nettron