Learning & Memory

  • Donald Jacques
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2002
      Hello group(s).

      Why is it that I have not seen any texts/discussions
      that refer to learning and memory ( long/short term )
      in the same topic? I submit that one cannot achieve
      "dynamic" learning without a short term and a long
      term memory storage/retrieval scheme. What form might
      such a scheme take in order to reinforce pleasant/
      or positive experiences and inhibit the opposite?

      http://autos.yahoo.com
    • nettron1000
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2002
        --- In artificialintelligencegroup@y..., Donald Jacques
        <jadekyrn@y...> wrote:
        > Hello group(s).
        >
        > Why is it that I have not seen any texts/discussions
        > that refer to learning and memory ( long/short term )
        > in the same topic?

        Perhaps we should discuss it then. Well actually learning does
        indeed involve memory. We must be careful not to confuse learning and
        memory ,as it applies to digital systems, with memory in biological
        systems which is what im assumming we're trying to model. We must
        also not confuse long term memory(LTM),when referring to learning,
        with adaption. Learning is like a higher form of adaption, you can
        take what you have learned and apply it to a similar or even
        different situation.

        > I submit that one cannot achieve
        > "dynamic" learning without a short term and a long
        > term memory storage/retrieval scheme.

        Agreed. In biological and artificial neural networks, memory storage
        and recall is brought about by the context in which a
        command/stimulus response occurs. There is no central controller that
        sends bits to a bank of memory to retreive another set of bits and
        vice versa as is done in digital systems. Actually there are no bits
        either.

        > What form might
        > such a scheme take in order to reinforce pleasant/
        > or positive experiences and inhibit the opposite?

        Sounds like reinforcement learning or i would even go as far as to
        say a form of classical conditioning. If a certain behavior causes a
        painful or unpleasant sensation this should send a stronge inhibitory
        signal to memory-association areas.

        Nettron

        > http://autos.yahoo.com
      • sbjao
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27, 2002
          <jadekyrn@y...> wrote:
          > Hello group(s).
          >
          > Why is it that I have not seen any texts/discussions
          > that refer to learning and memory ( long/short term )
          > in the same topic? I submit that one cannot achieve
          > "dynamic" learning without a short term and a long
          > term memory storage/retrieval scheme

          I see "artificial intelligence" itself as being about learning and
          memory. What is "learning"? The ability to acquire, use, and apply
          understanding of information...How are you distinguishing learning
          and memory from artificial intelligence? For me, they seem to be one
          and the same...although the way in which that "intelligence" can be
          created might very and be up for expansion. Yes, expanding the
          definition of what it means to learn can change.