AI and common sense...

  • nettron1000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2002
      The biggest obstacle to AI general intelligence is the problem of
      instilling common sense into it. But then what do we mean by common
      sense? Do we mean our own human version of it?
      As a classic example i once read about a neural network vision
      system experiment in which the researchers showed the network two
      pictures of a field,one which had military tanks in it and one which
      had none.When the system was asked what the similarities in the 2
      pics were,the network determined that the similarity between the 2
      pics was that one was taken on a sunny day and the other was taken on
      a cloudy day, completely omitting the fact that the tanks were there!
      To an ANN (or any other AI system to-date) anything can count has
      similar because it doesnt have common sense, or should i say it
      doesnt have _our_ version of common sense.
      But then this raises another question, is our common sense
      genetically "programmed" or do we learn it as we grow up?
      As an example of human common sense(failure?) i once read a story
      about a boy who asked his mother if he could go ice skating on the
      pond near their home. His mother said no the ice may be too thin, so
      the boy went out and walked on the ice to see if it was ok and
      returned to exclaim to his mother that the ice was ok. Completely
      missing the fact that his mother was concerned about his safety and
      not the fact about the ice! He was grounded for a month.
      So what can we deduce from this story? The boys genetic common sense
      was not fully developped yet? Or the boy has learned some more common
      sense knowledge?
      I'll stop there...

      Nettron.
    • Michael Earl Laub
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2002
        You said: "The biggest obstacle to AI general intelligence is
        the problem of instilling common sense into it."

        I think common sense is just a fancy word for a "cost/benefit"
        analysis. I think artificial intelligence will be a machine,
        where thousands of people feed data into, and it makes the
        decision.

        I think it would almost be easy to make this machine. I have
        been looking for people to tell me what they think about an idea
        of mine for the past 6 months. Please stop by this web site and
        tell me what you think. I think that with a little bit of work,
        we could build this machine right now!

        http://geocities.com/mclaub/Mike/Debate/online_debate.htm

        =====
        Michael Earl Laub