Re: I invite you to Computer Ethics Club

  • milescarr
    Message 1 of 1398 , Oct 22, 1999
      DEAR MANI: MY NAME IS MILES CARR, AND I SHARE
      YOUR CONCERNS ABOUT MISUSE OF THE COMPUTER. MY
      PARTICULAR CONCERN IS THE USE OF THE INTERNET BY PEDOPHILE
      PREDATORS WHO USE IT TO LURE UNSUSPECTING CHILDREN. I AM
      SURE THAT YOU ARE QUITE AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM. I ALSO
      ASSUME THAT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH ALAN TURING AND THE
      'TURING TEST.' ALSO THAT TURING'S ORIGINAL PROPOSAL WAS
      TO BE BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN. I BELIEVE THAT AN
      SIMILIAR APPLICATION CAN BE MADE FOR THE PURPOSE OF
      INCREASING THE AWARENESS AND PERCEPTION OF CHILDREN WHO
      COMMUNICATE OVER THE INTERNET. IT WOULD WORK LIKE THIS: THE
      TEST WOULD BE BETWEEN A BOY AND A GIRL WITH OTHER
      CHILDREN AS JUDGES. MOST LIKELY, IT WOULD BE THE GIRL WHO
      WOULD TRY TO MAKE THE OTHER KIDS THINK THAT SHE WAS THE
      BOY. QUESTIONS TYPED INTO THE TERMINAL WOULD BE ON
      THINGS CHILDREN DO AND KNOW--LIKE SPORTS. A SECOND STAGE
      WOULD INVOLVE A TEST BETWEEN A CHILD AND AN ADULT
      PRETENDING TO BE A CHILD--MOST LIKELY A POLICE EXPERT ON
      PEDOPHILES. THIS APPLICATION COULD BE IMPLEMENTED IN THE
      SCHOOLS WITH THE AID OF (1) THE POLICE WITH THEIR
      EXPERTISE, (2) AI EXPERTS PROVIDING CONSULTATION AND THE
      NECESSARY EDUCATION ON THE TURING TEST, AND (3) COMPUTER
      AND ELECTRONICS COMPANIES PROVIDING THE NECESSARY
      TECHNOLOGY. I AM NOT AN "INTELLECTUAL," AND I WOULD NOT BE
      ABLE TO ATTEND ANY MEETINGS, BUT I WOULD GREATLY
      APPRECIATE ANY REPLY. ALSO, MAYBE YOU WILL FEEL THAT THIS
      PLAN MERITS CONSIDERATION AND IS WORTHY TO BE
      PRESENTED TO YOUR FELLOW CEC MEMBERS. I ALSO SENT A SIMILAR
      LETTER TO Nukleon. HE DID SAY THAT IT SOUNDED
      INTERESTING, BUT I HOPE THAT IT WOULD BE MORE THAN THAT.
      Message 1398 of 1398 , Aug 19, 2005