Re: Fuzzy Logic?

  • e_p_katz
    Message 1 of 1398 , Nov 4, 2001
      <<That is possible, but the main goal is to
      deal with uncertainty.>><br><br>I totally agreed
      with your response about fuzzy logic up to this
      not deal with uncertainty. Rather it deals with
      imprecision. <br>The two are not the same. If uncertainty is
      the issue, then Bayesian and probabilistic reasoning
      is what is needed.<br><br>FL deals with imprecision
      in both specification and in data precision. As was
      pointed out, there<br>are many FL introductory texts
      a kind of approximate reasoning in which
      inferencing is done based upon<br>imprecise
      conditions/specifications and imprecise data and is
      deterministic.<br><br>Is it legitimate? Depends on your definition of
      legitimacy. If you own a Saturn automobile with and automatic
      transmission, you better hope its<br>legitimate. Same with high
      end Fords.<br>Foreign auto manufactures are very fond
      (and very<br>quiet) about using FL in their ABS, fuel
      injection, engine management, etc. systems (e.g.<br>BMW, and
      most Japanese manufacturers). Would you<br>buy a car
      that uses something "fuzzy" in the<br>braking system
      or shifting gears for you? Probably not.<br><br>Why
      they don't tell you should be obvious.<br><br>Why do
      they do it?<br><br>Because they can get a good,
      reasonably accurate<br>approximate result in a short amount
      of time from<br>imprecise data, imprecise control
      specifications,<br>and that is computationally<br>efficient, robust, and
      flexible to reprogram via<br>ROM/FPGA based uprocessor
      used more pervasively than most people
      that I'll leave for the interested person<br>to
      discover for themselves.<br><br>It may be of interest to
      some that the FLAKEY<br>autonomous robot project at
      SRI used fuzzy logic<br>extensively to "blend"
      multiple behaviours into<br>final multiple, concurrent
      actions.
      Message 1398 of 1398 , Aug 19 6:49 PM