Re: WANT TO KNOW ABOUT VHDL & Verilog

  • aramak_afzal
    Message 1 of 1398 , Sep 23, 2001
      Hi,<br>In general VHDL is a programming language
      with a structure similar to C which has 2
      applications:<br><br>1-It is used for programming FPGA circuits.It
      simulates a circuit on computer and then apply it to an
      FPGA board.<br> FPGA is a programmable array of
      gates.Applying a VHDL program to a FPGA causes burning the FPGA
      fuses in a way you mentioned in the program.So you will
      change the FPGA board in a way that you can have any
      desired gate/IC on it.<br>A good sample of advanced ones
      are microprocessors which have thousands of
      states.Nowadays microprocessors are designed with
      give a description of what you want to do to the
      computer then an advanced, intelligent software which is
      called "Circuit Synthesizer"will simulate the
      instructions and decides about suitable gates for the
      circuit.When you want to do some add operations for example,
      you write the VHDL code of this then the software
      decides which is more suitable for your case a half-adder
      or a full-adder."Circuit Synthesizer" has different
      versions and due the rate of its advancement it can
      recognize different instructions.If you use less advanced
      versions you should be able to divide complex instructions
      to easier ones.The out put will be the layout of
      circuit in the form of gates or even in the form of
      transistors layout.<br>What makes VHDL so interesting is that
      with an FPGA of the right size you can have multiple
      circuits at the same time.For example you could have a
      transmitter and a receiver at the same time in a same board
      which is very difficult when you use common
      ICs.<br>Another benefit of VHDL is making circuits smaller.Using
      a 8051 microprocessor in a circuit takes a lot of
      space but when we simulate it by VHDL it will become a
      part of a larger circuit which makes it smaller and
      the noise effect will be less.<br><br>2-Designing
      ASIC<br> ASIC=Application Specification Integrated
      Circuit.<br>As the name shows we describe the specification of
      an IC by VHDL codes and then we save this as a
      file.This file contains a layout of the desired IC in the
      form of some gates or in the form of transistor
      layout.Then IC manufacturers make ICs using this file.<br>
      This application of VHDL needs a good knowledge of
      electronics/communication systems, computer architecture, hardware design
      and creativity.<br><br>The only disadvantage of VHDL
      is being slower than traditional circuits since its
      a software program and it runes line-by-line while
      circuits designed by hardware methods do the instructions
      simultaneously.But it is not important that much since delays are of
      the order of micro seconds.<br>Briefly it is said
      that the whole procedure is sth like this:
      counter should be able to do add operation for example)-
      gate layout-transistor layout- applying the layout to
      FPGA or other devices.<br><br>About the
      software:<br>It is very expensive and it only runs on UNIX
      platform but some student versions like Verybest and MAX+
      are available for a low price and are suitable for
      Message 1398 of 1398 , Aug 19, 2005