Stop Stressing - How to Log It and Block It

  • Larry Tobin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21 9:00 AM
      A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Larry Tobin

      Article Title:
      Stop Stressing - How to Log It and Block It

      Article Description:
      An interesting thing about the human mind is that it tends
      to work largely on autopilot. Whether it is showering,
      driving to work, or making breakfast, there are large parts
      of our daily routines that occur without needing much
      conscious thought. Just as the mind can adopt behaviors as
      automatic, it can be made to think about them and break them
      down into meaningful pieces of information. To that end,
      we're going to look at a life-building habit called a
      Stress Log.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2010-04-21 11:00:00

      Written By: Larry Tobin
      Copyright: 2010
      Contact Email: mailto:larry.tobin@...

      For more free-reprint articles by Larry Tobin, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/larry-tobin.html

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/t/stop-stressing.shtml#get_code

      Stop Stressing - How to Log It and Block It
      Copyright (c) 2010 Larry Tobin
      Habit Changer
      http://www.HabitChanger.com/

      An interesting thing about the human mind is that it tends to
      work largely on autopilot. Whether it is showering, driving to
      work, or making breakfast, there are large parts of our daily
      routines that occur without needing much conscious thought.

      This is a normal, healthy behavior. If we had to stop and
      consider or manually cause every single action in our lives,
      we'd be slow moving creatures indeed. That said, there are times
      that this tendency can give us trouble. It isn't so much a
      direct problem as an indirect one of allowing stresses to build
      up without really analyzing them. We go through our lives every
      day with tiny stresses coming up again and again, and we don't
      always take the time to consider how we can deal with them or
      even where they come from, because of our automatic acceptance of
      the routine.

      Today, let's focus on redirecting that routine. Just as the mind
      can adopt behaviors as automatic, it can be made to think about
      them and break them down into meaningful pieces of information.
      To that end, we're going to look at a life-building habit called
      a Stress Log.

      What is a Stress Log?

      In short, a stress log is a record of our day and the activities
      in it. The record begins when we wake up, and takes account of
      everything we encounter and do throughout the day so that later
      we can look at the information and make healthy decisions about
      it. The first step in any process of building a habit is
      knowledge, after all.

      The exact form the stress log takes isn't important. It can be a
      program in our Smartphone, a document on the computer, or a
      physical book. What is most important is that it is something we
      are comfortable using on a regular basis and can easily access.

      Stress Log Step 1 - Diary Daily

      The first step in building up a good Stress Logging habit is to
      make sure to do it every day. When we have more information to
      work with, we have a better grasp on what needs to be done. The
      most consistent routine in our lives is usually the daily one,
      and the one we can most immediately affect. That�s why the
      saying, 'one day at a time,' rings so true.

      It takes about thirty days to first establish a good solid habit,
      as we've discussed. We can't get to thirty without first
      getting to one. So for starters, we'll make our journal one of
      daily progress.

      Stress Log Step 2 - Piece by Piece

      Now that we have our stress log, it's time to begin filling it
      in. We can begin with the elements of our routine. Good things to
      note include the time we wake up, what we make for breakfast, how
      and when we went to work, schools, or about our chores, and the
      like.

      Nothing is too immaterial. If we notice it, it should go in the
      book because our brain considered it important. We shouldn't let
      this interrupt our work of course; if something is big and needs
      attention, it should be dealt with, and then after it has been
      handled it should be noted in the log.

      This practice builds information in two ways. First, it creates a
      steady log of information about our day that we can use as a
      reference. This will let us look at trends, see patterns, and
      understand the various elements that make up the complicated
      picture of our lives. The second thing it does is help us build
      the habit of observation. As we write down the things we notice,
      we begin to notice more things, increasing our perception of the
      world around us and the effects it has on us.

      Stress Log Step 3 - Thoughts and Tidbits

      As we build up the list of our activities, it is important to
      note down our thoughts of those activities in the stress log
      along with them. For example we could record a discussion with a
      coworker, and whether it made us pleased, indifferent, or more
      stressed out. We could put down whether the sandwich at lunch was
      more disappointing than usual, or if getting in late to work
      caused us problems getting things done.

      This piece of information is critical to the process of later
      analysis. In building a habit of considering and evaluating our
      world and the stimuli it gives us, we need to know what effect
      all this information and experience has on our lives.

      Stress Log Step 4 - Study and Summary

      The important thing at first is to avoid trying to change
      anything right away. Changing matters at random might not help
      us, and could cause more stress. Instead, we're just going to
      journal honestly as we go along.

      Then, at the end of each week of logging, we can evaluate our
      experiences throughout the week and see if we can start
      identifying the areas that cause us the most stress. This will
      let us make strong choices to adapt and possibly change things,
      giving us the ability to reshape our habits into the mold we
      want, instead of one that happens on autopilot.

      Larry Tobin is the co-creator of
      http://www.HabitChanger.com/ offering effective
      and empowering solutions for stopping stress.
      Try our 42-day program that will help you learn
      proactive habits to beat stress and keep
      you moving forward in the right direction.
      http://www.habitchanger.com/stopstressing

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/t/stop-stressing.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Larry Tobin can be reached at:
      larry.tobin@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:larry.tobin@...

      Article Marketing Ebook at: