Questions about TPB

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 18, 2000
      Hello,

      Does anyone have a copy of the 'Avengers:  The Morgan Conquest' Trade Paperback or the 'Lady Pendragon' Trade Paperback.  I'm interested in learning what is reprinted in each collection.  (Please include ISBN if you can; I hope to teach the legend of Merlin and Arthurian literature in the Spring semester, and I'd like another comic set besides 'Camelot 3000'.  I had thought about using 'MAGE', but it is too expensive.  Alternatively, can anyone recommend an issue of the 'Prince Valiant' series that is particularly Arthurian.)

      Thanks in advance for your help,
      Michael

      Michael A. Torregrossa, M. A.
      34 Second Street
      Smithfield, RI 02917-3627

      Websites:
      The Arthurian Comic Book Discussion List Homepage
       http://home.att.net/~torregrossa/comichome.htm

      The Bokewyrm's Guide to Medieval Studies on the Internet
       http://home.att.net/~bokewyrm/

      Camelot 3000 and Beyond:  An Annotated Bibliography of Arthurian Comic Books Published in the United States c. 1980-1998.  Part of "The Arthuriana / Camelot Project Bibliographies."  (Revised edition now online.)
       http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/acpbibs/comicbib.htm

      Teaching the Legend of King Arthur in the Twenty-first Century: A Basic Reference Guide
       http://home.att.net/~torregrossa/

      'Young Indiana Jones:  Travels With Father' (1996)

      Nikos Kazantzakis: "Well, your father is living in the Dark Ages!"

      Young Indy:   "Almost--My father is a medievalist."
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2000

        MAGE, too expensive???  Even in the trade paperback reprints???  With the
        VERY good possibility of a MAGE movie, and the fact that it and CAMELOT 3000
        are probably the best of the litter, what else will you use???

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 22, 2000
          --- In arthurian_comixlist@egroups.com, "Michael Torregrossa" <mtorregrossa@a...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > Does anyone have a copy of the 'Avengers: The Morgan Conquest' Trade Paperback or the 'Lady Pendragon' Trade
          Paperback. I'm interested in learning what is reprinted in each collection. (Please include ISBN if you can; I hope to
          teach the legend of Merlin and Arthurian literature in the Spring semester, and I'd like another comic set besides 'Camelot
          3000'. I had thought about using 'MAGE', but it is too expensive. Alternatively, can anyone recommend an issue of the
          'Prince Valiant' series that is particularly Arthurian.)

          I don't have either, Michael, but here's some information from NextPlanetOver and Amazon:

          Avengers: The Morgan Conquest

          Reprinting AVENGERS Vol. 3 #1-4 in one 112-page volume! Morgan LeFey has remade the world in a medieval state!
          Now it's up to the Earth's Mightiest Heroes to break the spell and take back their world! And wait until you see all of the
          cool medieval versions of the Avengers! Also included is issue #4, which unveiled the team's new line-up! Plus: The
          cover for #2 that was never used! Plus: An all-new cover by the amazing George Perez! Full color, 112 pages. (npo.com)

          Paperback - 112 pages (January 2000); Marvel Books; ISBN: 0785107282 (amazon.com)

          The list price is $14.95 (amazon sells for $11.96 plus S&H.)

          I couldn't find any information on the Lady Pendragon TPB on these or other likely sites -- NPO does have a hardcover
          collection, but it's pretty pricey ($29.95).

          Stil musing on a recommendation for Prince Valiant -- will post again late
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 22, 2000
            The difficulty in recommending one "particularly Arthurian" volume of
            Fantagraphics' "Prince Valiant" is due to the nature of the original
            material -- like most continuity newspaper strips, it's an ongoing,
            never-ending serial -- and the way it's been packaged for reprinting
            -- 45 strips per volume. Some story arcs begin and end within one
            volume, while others continue from one to another. And the Arthurian
            content waxes and wanes throughout.

            That said, you might want to try Vol. 27, "The Eternal Quest," which
            involves Val in the quest for the Holy Grail, or Vol. 32, "The Battle
            of Badon Hill," which features Hal Foster's take on Arthur's most
            famous "historical" military victory.

            But -- if you're looking for another comic in paperback format to use
            in your course -- have you considered the two Arthurian volumes of
            "Martin Mystery" from Dark Horse? Both are available from
            NextPlanetOver for $4.95. In addition to featuring an unusual SF take
            on Merlin, Arthur, et al, the story is an expression of the legend in
            the popular culture of another country, which we don't see very often
            in America.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2000
              Alan,

              Thanks for the information. I was hoping the 'Avengers' book had included
              some of the earlier material.

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2000
                Alan,

                Thanks for your recommendations on the 'Prince Valiant'. I don't yet have
                these books, but I have the 'Martin Mystery' at home (still unread).

                What do you (or any one else on list) think about Vols 1 or 2 or 'Prince
                Valiant'.?

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 28, 2000
                  --- In arthurian_comixlist@egroups.com, "Michael Torregrossa" <mtorregrossa@a...> wrote:

                  > What do you (or any one else on list) think about Vols 1 or 2 or 'Prince
                  > Valiant'.?

                  Volumes One and Two are probably fine, as they introduce Valiant and relate his career as Sir Gawain's squire as well as
                  how he first comes to Camelot. There are appearances by Arthur, Guinevere, and (I'm pretty sure) Merlin and Morgan.

                  The main reason I didn't mention them before is that I don't actually own the Fantagraphics volumes -- I bought the
                  oversize Manuscript Press editions of the strip's first two years when they were published in the '80's, and I haven't looked
                  at them lately (they're hard to store and to handle properly -- but gorgeous!).

                  Al
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 29, 2000
                    Rodney,

                    The MAGE books Vol. 1 are $7.00 each.  I imagine I could get away with just #7 (Rpts. 13-14), but I think the tale is much better told complete from #1.

                    Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 10:17 PM
                    Subject: Re: [arthurian_comixlist] Questions about TPB

                    Michael,

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2000
                      Alan,

                      Thanks again for the suggestions. I was thinking of these 2 issues in terms
                      of the FAM-TV series and wondering if they presented Valiant and his friends
                      quest to find Camelot (reference to that awful Warner Bros. film is not
                      intentional). I have #2, and I see it has Valiant already at Camelot and
                      appearances by Merlin and Morgan.