Re: Superheroes of the Round Table Reviews

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
      So, in the last 24 hours, I have found out more about this "shadowy listserv" and who I offended, and I thought you all might find it interesting.

      Roy Thomas puts out a magazine called Alter Ego; it's a wonderful publication focusing on Golden and Silver Age characters and creators. Last month Thomas picked up my book. He went to the index me found out he was mentioned only once, in a less than glamorous way when I have to briefly unpack Kirby's character "Houseroy." Thomas went looking in the index for other characters that he thought would be in any book about medieval themes and superheroes. He looked for Conan. Nothing. He looked for the Shining Knight and saw that I had nothing to say about the character's early years or the years Thomas was writing him in All Star Squadron. He looked up Black Knight and found only a passing reference.

      So he went onto the Alter Ego Yahoo group and said the book did not look like it would be very useful. And after a medium-length discussion about how no one knows how to respect their elders any more, the owner of the group went onto Amazon and wrote his "review".

      As far as I can tell, no one involved actually read anything.

      I have enormous respect for Thomas and have enjoyed countless comics with his name, so naturally I was disappointed to hear he hadn't liked it. I wrote to him and tried to explain that the reason my book was not a comprehensive, encyclopedic guide to all medieval or Arthurian characters is because people like you, Mike, and Alan, and others, had already done that so well. Instead, I only wrote about a specific subset of characters about whom I had something worthwhile to say.

      He wrote me back and promised to read the book soon, since he does have it on his shelf. Perhaps, if I am lucky, his thoughts will change and he will post anew on his Yahoo group.

      Jason

      Assistant Professor of English
      College of Coastal Georgia
      doctorcomics.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
        Jason,

        Thanks for the update.

        If any one is interested the exchange Jason refers to is accessible at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alter-ego-fans/message/1963.

        Michael