Superheroes of the Round Table Reviews

  • Blog Editor, The Society for the Study of
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24 12:24 PM
      List members,

      There seems to be some heated debate online over Jason's book Superheroes
      of the Round Table (at least if the reviews on Amazon are any indication).
      Has anyone found any useful reviews of the book yet?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24 12:51 PM
        Hey Michael!

        Thanks for pointing this out. Well, it looks like a very embarrassing typo got into the book where I typed "Shuster" when I should have typed "Simon."

        Otherwise, one of these two reviewers found the book boring and too scholarly. Well, my book will not be the first scholarly monograph to be thought so. The other reviewer seems to be very angry about my Shuster/Simon mistake and does not seem to have read the rest.

        An interesting phenomenon. I suppose I can take comfort in the fact that academics don't get their reviews from Amazon most of the time. I've had better reviews elsewhere; I believe A. David Lewis did one for IJOCA.

        Thanks again,
        Jason

        Assistant Professor of English
        College of Coastal Georgia
        doctorcomics.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24 1:09 PM
          Hi, Jason. Thanks for your update. It's been a long and difficult year, and
          I'm glad to hear about the good reviews, though the context of the Amazon
          debate (references to some shadow listserv/discussion list) is
          bit troubling.

          Michael

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25 8:33 AM
            So, in the last 24 hours, I have found out more about this "shadowy listserv" and who I offended, and I thought you all might find it interesting.

            Roy Thomas puts out a magazine called Alter Ego; it's a wonderful publication focusing on Golden and Silver Age characters and creators. Last month Thomas picked up my book. He went to the index me found out he was mentioned only once, in a less than glamorous way when I have to briefly unpack Kirby's character "Houseroy." Thomas went looking in the index for other characters that he thought would be in any book about medieval themes and superheroes. He looked for Conan. Nothing. He looked for the Shining Knight and saw that I had nothing to say about the character's early years or the years Thomas was writing him in All Star Squadron. He looked up Black Knight and found only a passing reference.

            So he went onto the Alter Ego Yahoo group and said the book did not look like it would be very useful. And after a medium-length discussion about how no one knows how to respect their elders any more, the owner of the group went onto Amazon and wrote his "review".

            As far as I can tell, no one involved actually read anything.

            I have enormous respect for Thomas and have enjoyed countless comics with his name, so naturally I was disappointed to hear he hadn't liked it. I wrote to him and tried to explain that the reason my book was not a comprehensive, encyclopedic guide to all medieval or Arthurian characters is because people like you, Mike, and Alan, and others, had already done that so well. Instead, I only wrote about a specific subset of characters about whom I had something worthwhile to say.

            He wrote me back and promised to read the book soon, since he does have it on his shelf. Perhaps, if I am lucky, his thoughts will change and he will post anew on his Yahoo group.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25 2:49 PM
              Jason,

              Thanks for the update.

              If any one is interested the exchange Jason refers to is accessible at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alter-ego-fans/message/1963.

              Michael