CFP Comics Get Medieval at Kalamazoo (9/1/11; Kalamazoo 5/10/13/12)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2011
      List members,

      I'm still looking for some proposals to round out the following round
      table session. Any help is greatly appreciated.

      Michael

      CFP Comics Get Medieval at Kalamazoo
      CALL FOR PAPERS

      THE COMICS GET MEDIEVAL AT KALAMAZOO: NEW PERSPECTIVES FOR
      INCORPORATING COMICS INTO MEDIEVAL STUDIES TEACHING AND RESEARCH

      A ROUNDTABLE FOR THE 47TH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON MEDIEVAL STUDIES
      (WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY, KALAMAZOO, MI) FROM 10-13 MAY 2012
      SPONSORED BY THE VIRTUAL SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF POPULAR CULTURE AND
      THE MIDDLE AGES

      PROPOSALS BY 1 SEPTEMBER 2011 (EARLY SUBMISSION RECOMMENDED)

      This session has been proposed in an effort to continue and expand
      upon the conversations initiated in our previous sessions at the
      Congress (in 2004 and 2008) on the potential uses of the comics in
      Medieval Studies teaching and research. In prior sessions, we have
      touched upon both the variety and vitality of the corpus of
      medieval-themed comics, medievalisms that have been in existence since
      at least the early part of the twentieth century and that continue to
      flourish in both the comics (in all its varied forms) and
      comics-related media, like adaptations into film and television, to
      this day. A number of characters and series celebrate significant
      anniversaries in 2012 (for example, Hal Foster’s Prince Valiant will
      be 75; Stan Lee, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby’s Thor 50; Roy Thomas and
      John Buscema’s Dane Whitman, the modern-day Black Knight, 45; Dik
      Browne’s Hägar the Horrible and Kirby’s Etrigan 40; and Mike W. Barr
      and Brian Bolland’s CAMELOT 3000 30), and we believe this is an ideal
      time to revisit this material at the Congress, a venue that has long
      been amiable to the furtherance of discussion of and debate on—goals
      we have adopted—representations of the medieval in popular culture.

      Unlike other forms of medievalism, like film and Tolkieniana, that
      receive multiple sessions at conferences, like the Congress, each
      year, medieval-themed comics remain neglected and in need of much
      further research. Despite the vitality of these long-running series
      and other comics with medieval themes, the corpus of medieval comics
      as a whole has largely been ignored (though with a few notable
      exceptions) by medievalists except as curiosities, a pattern
      replicated largely in other academic disciplines. However, due to the
      interdisciplinary nature of Medieval Studies, our field (especially
      given the welcomeness many medievalists have for medievalisms) is
      ideally suited to tap into the high potentiality of the corpus for
      both teaching about the medieval to audiences of all ages, from
      children to adults, and, like other forms of medievalism, for
      understanding, through the processes of adaptation and appropriation,
      the contemporary reception of the medieval in popular culture. The
      general neglect of the corpus suggests that most medievalists are wary
      of studying these types of texts, and, in an effort to combat this
      apparent distrust, we endeavor in this session to create an
      environment where medievalists, perhaps familiar with some of more
      celebrated texts, can learn more about these works of popular
      medievalism. It is our intent that the papers presented at this
      roundtable will offer new possibilities to access this corpus so we
      may all come to a greater appreciation of its contents and contexts.

      PLEASE SUBMIT PROPOSALS OF 500 WORDS OR LESS, PARTICIPANT INFORMATION
      FORM (AVAILABLE AT
      http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/submissions/index.html), AND A
      COPY OF YOUR CV TO THE ORGANIZERS AT

      Popular.Culture.and.the.Middle.Ages@...

      PLEASE INCLUDE “KALAMAZOO COMICS PROPOSAL” IN THE SUBJECT LINE

      FOR FURTHER DETAILS ABOUT MEDIEVAL-THEMED COMICS, WE INVITE YOU TO
      VISIT OUR WEBSITES AT Arthur-of-the-Comics.org AND
      MedievalComicsProject.org

      FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE VIRTUAL SOCIETY FOR THE STUDY OF
      POPULAR CULTURE AND THE MIDDLE AGES, PLEASE ACCESS OUR
      BLOG AT http://PopularCultureandtheMiddleAges.blogspot.com/