Re: [arthurian_comixlist] Madame Xanadu

    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2010
      Oh sure. DC had three different Merlins running around, last I checked. And
      I know there have been origins for the Stranger. I was just generally
      speculating on the temptation to graft characters with mysterious and
      undefined origins onto well-known tropes like Arthur.

      It reminds me of that throw-away sequence in a page of Forever People when
      the team go back to Arthurian England and more or less accidentally cause
      Arthur to pull the sword out of the stone. I don't think Kirby cared a whole
      lot for continuity, at least not if it got in the way of an amusing gag.

      --
      doctorcomics.blogspot.com

    • mtorreg2001
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2010
        Hi, again. I had a bunch of interviews with Wagner, and I think this (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090809-WagnerXanadu.html) may have been the one I meant to quote from on his presentation of Xanadu as the Lady of the Lake, though it seems to refer back to the SPECTRE story.

        The interviewer asks: "What made the fall of Camelot the right starting point for this story?"

        Wagner replies: "Well, that was existing canon. Continuity said she once was the nymph Nimue, who locked Merlin away. So that was already there. "

        Michael