Re: [arthurian_comixlist] Madame Xanadu

  • scarfman@iglou.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2010
      On Sun, May 23, 2010 12:08, Jason Tondro wrote:
      > I suppose it is that very mysteriousness that invites writers to fiddle
      > with her background and "meaning," imprinting whatever mythology or origin
      > they want onto her. I'm fairly surprised there's no comic which reveals
      > that Phantom Stranger is actually Merlin or, perhaps more likely
      > considering comics, that the Phantom Stranger went to Arthurian England
      > and adopted the identity of Merlin while he advised the King there.

      If only as a part of the origin of the DC character The Demon, Merlin is
      pretty much established as a separate character. Which doesn't rule out a
      story with the Stranger assuming Merlin's identity for a time.

      As for the Stranger's origin: DC did an issue of Secret Origins for him in
      the 80s. Four different writers wrote four different stories.

      Paul Gadzikowski, scarfman@...
      http://arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/0001.htm New cartoons daily
      http://arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/3faces/aaaa.htm Fanfiction cartoons

      "Oh, not another mastodon!"
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2010
        Oh sure. DC had three different Merlins running around, last I checked. And
        I know there have been origins for the Stranger. I was just generally
        speculating on the temptation to graft characters with mysterious and
        undefined origins onto well-known tropes like Arthur.

        It reminds me of that throw-away sequence in a page of Forever People when
        the team go back to Arthurian England and more or less accidentally cause
        Arthur to pull the sword out of the stone. I don't think Kirby cared a whole
        lot for continuity, at least not if it got in the way of an amusing gag.

        --
        doctorcomics.blogspot.com

      • mtorreg2001
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2010
          Hi, again. I had a bunch of interviews with Wagner, and I think this (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090809-WagnerXanadu.html) may have been the one I meant to quote from on his presentation of Xanadu as the Lady of the Lake, though it seems to refer back to the SPECTRE story.

          The interviewer asks: "What made the fall of Camelot the right starting point for this story?"

          Wagner replies: "Well, that was existing canon. Continuity said she once was the nymph Nimue, who locked Merlin away. So that was already there. "

          Michael