Re: [arthurian_comixlist] Madame Xanadu

    Message 1 of 9 , May 23 8:21 AM
      No, not in that or in subsequent issues of that series. Her origins and background are completely mysterious, a la similar characters like the Phantom Stranger.

      Alan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , May 23 9:08 AM
        I suppose it is that very mysteriousness that invites writers to fiddle with
        her background and "meaning," imprinting whatever mythology or origin they
        want onto her. I'm fairly surprised there's no comic which reveals that
        Phantom Stranger is actually Merlin or, perhaps more likely considering
        comics, that the Phantom Stranger went to Arthurian England and adopted the
        identity of Merlin while he advised the King there.

        On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Alan Stewart <merrygawain@...> wrote:

        > No, not in that or in subsequent issues of that series. Her origins and
        > background are completely mysterious, a la similar characters like the
        > Phantom Stranger.
        >
        > Alan
        >
        > ________________________________

        doctorcomics.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 9 , May 24 7:15 AM
          On Sun, May 23, 2010 12:08, Jason Tondro wrote:
          > I suppose it is that very mysteriousness that invites writers to fiddle
          > with her background and "meaning," imprinting whatever mythology or origin
          > they want onto her. I'm fairly surprised there's no comic which reveals
          > that Phantom Stranger is actually Merlin or, perhaps more likely
          > considering comics, that the Phantom Stranger went to Arthurian England
          > and adopted the identity of Merlin while he advised the King there.

          If only as a part of the origin of the DC character The Demon, Merlin is
          pretty much established as a separate character. Which doesn't rule out a
          story with the Stranger assuming Merlin's identity for a time.

          As for the Stranger's origin: DC did an issue of Secret Origins for him in
          the 80s. Four different writers wrote four different stories.

          Paul Gadzikowski, scarfman@...
          http://arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/0001.htm New cartoons daily
          http://arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/3faces/aaaa.htm Fanfiction cartoons

          "Oh, not another mastodon!"
          Message 4 of 9 , May 24 10:15 AM
            Oh sure. DC had three different Merlins running around, last I checked. And
            I know there have been origins for the Stranger. I was just generally
            speculating on the temptation to graft characters with mysterious and
            undefined origins onto well-known tropes like Arthur.

            It reminds me of that throw-away sequence in a page of Forever People when
            the team go back to Arthurian England and more or less accidentally cause
            Arthur to pull the sword out of the stone. I don't think Kirby cared a whole
            lot for continuity, at least not if it got in the way of an amusing gag.

            --
            doctorcomics.blogspot.com

          • mtorreg2001
            Message 5 of 9 , May 25 7:55 PM
              Hi, again. I had a bunch of interviews with Wagner, and I think this (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090809-WagnerXanadu.html) may have been the one I meant to quote from on his presentation of Xanadu as the Lady of the Lake, though it seems to refer back to the SPECTRE story.

              The interviewer asks: "What made the fall of Camelot the right starting point for this story?"

              Wagner replies: "Well, that was existing canon. Continuity said she once was the nymph Nimue, who locked Merlin away. So that was already there. "

              Michael