Re: [arthurian_comixlist] Madame Xanadu

    Message 1 of 9 , May 21, 2010
      Hi, Alan. Thanks for your reply. My apologies for misquoting the article. It
      has been a long week.

      Keep up the great work,
      Michael

      On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Alan Stewart <merrygawain@...> wrote:

      > Michael,
      >
      > I went back and looked at the CBR article, and the statement you quoted
      > wasn't actually said by Matt Wagner, but rather by the interviewer, Jeffrey
      > Renaud. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that my research was more
      > thorough than Mr. Renaud's. But if anyone can find an earlier Arthurian
      > reference than that Spectre story, I'll be happy to revise my site
      > accordingly.
      >
      > Alan
      >
      > ________________________________

      http://PopularCultureandtheMiddleAges.blogspot.com/
      The Arthur of the Comics Project Blog:
      http://arthur-of-thecomics-project.blogspot.com/

      Message 2 of 9 , May 22, 2010
        Guys,

        So what is the earliest Arthurian reference in a story with Madame Xanadu?
        She debuted in "Doorway Into Nightmare" #1 but is there any Arthurian
        content or reference?

        Rodney Parrish

        Message 3 of 9 , May 23, 2010
          No, not in that or in subsequent issues of that series. Her origins and background are completely mysterious, a la similar characters like the Phantom Stranger.

          Alan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , May 23, 2010
            I suppose it is that very mysteriousness that invites writers to fiddle with
            her background and "meaning," imprinting whatever mythology or origin they
            want onto her. I'm fairly surprised there's no comic which reveals that
            Phantom Stranger is actually Merlin or, perhaps more likely considering
            comics, that the Phantom Stranger went to Arthurian England and adopted the
            identity of Merlin while he advised the King there.

            On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Alan Stewart <merrygawain@...> wrote:

            > No, not in that or in subsequent issues of that series. Her origins and
            > background are completely mysterious, a la similar characters like the
            > Phantom Stranger.
            >
            > Alan
            >
            > ________________________________

            doctorcomics.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 9 , May 24, 2010
              On Sun, May 23, 2010 12:08, Jason Tondro wrote:
              > I suppose it is that very mysteriousness that invites writers to fiddle
              > with her background and "meaning," imprinting whatever mythology or origin
              > they want onto her. I'm fairly surprised there's no comic which reveals
              > that Phantom Stranger is actually Merlin or, perhaps more likely
              > considering comics, that the Phantom Stranger went to Arthurian England
              > and adopted the identity of Merlin while he advised the King there.

              If only as a part of the origin of the DC character The Demon, Merlin is
              pretty much established as a separate character. Which doesn't rule out a
              story with the Stranger assuming Merlin's identity for a time.

              As for the Stranger's origin: DC did an issue of Secret Origins for him in
              the 80s. Four different writers wrote four different stories.

              Paul Gadzikowski, scarfman@...
              http://arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/0001.htm New cartoons daily
              http://arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/3faces/aaaa.htm Fanfiction cartoons

              "Oh, not another mastodon!"
              Message 6 of 9 , May 24, 2010
                Oh sure. DC had three different Merlins running around, last I checked. And
                I know there have been origins for the Stranger. I was just generally
                speculating on the temptation to graft characters with mysterious and
                undefined origins onto well-known tropes like Arthur.

                It reminds me of that throw-away sequence in a page of Forever People when
                the team go back to Arthurian England and more or less accidentally cause
                Arthur to pull the sword out of the stone. I don't think Kirby cared a whole
                lot for continuity, at least not if it got in the way of an amusing gag.

                --
                doctorcomics.blogspot.com

              • mtorreg2001
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25, 2010
                  Hi, again. I had a bunch of interviews with Wagner, and I think this (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090809-WagnerXanadu.html) may have been the one I meant to quote from on his presentation of Xanadu as the Lady of the Lake, though it seems to refer back to the SPECTRE story.

                  The interviewer asks: "What made the fall of Camelot the right starting point for this story?"

                  Wagner replies: "Well, that was existing canon. Continuity said she once was the nymph Nimue, who locked Merlin away. So that was already there. "

                  Michael