Madame Xanadu

  • mtorreg2001
    Message 1 of 9 , May 20, 2010
      Hi.

      I've been wondering about Madame Xanadu's Arthurian connections. Matt Wagner's new series presents her as the Lady of the Lake, and Alan says on his site that this originates with a Spectre story from 1993. However, in an interview on Comic Book Resources (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?id=15960&page=article), Wagner states: "Making her debut in "Doorway to Nightmare" #1 in 1978, Madame Xanadu was originally introduced as a reincarnation of the Lady of the Lake from Arthurian legend. Over the years, the character settled into a role as fortune-teller and resident occult advisor to the DCU. "

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks,
      Message 2 of 9 , May 21, 2010

        I went back and looked at the CBR article, and the statement you quoted wasn't actually said by Matt Wagner, but rather by the interviewer, Jeffrey Renaud.  I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that my research was more thorough than Mr. Renaud's.   But if anyone can find an earlier Arthurian reference than that Spectre story, I'll be happy to revise my site accordingly.

        Alan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , May 21, 2010
          Hi, Alan. Thanks for your reply. My apologies for misquoting the article. It
          has been a long week.

          Keep up the great work,
          Michael

          On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Alan Stewart <merrygawain@...> wrote:

          > Michael,
          >
          > I went back and looked at the CBR article, and the statement you quoted
          > wasn't actually said by Matt Wagner, but rather by the interviewer, Jeffrey
          > Renaud. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that my research was more
          > thorough than Mr. Renaud's. But if anyone can find an earlier Arthurian
          > reference than that Spectre story, I'll be happy to revise my site
          > accordingly.
          >
          > Alan
          >
          > ________________________________

          http://PopularCultureandtheMiddleAges.blogspot.com/
          The Arthur of the Comics Project Blog:
          http://arthur-of-thecomics-project.blogspot.com/

          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 2010
            Guys,

            So what is the earliest Arthurian reference in a story with Madame Xanadu?
            She debuted in "Doorway Into Nightmare" #1 but is there any Arthurian
            content or reference?

            Rodney Parrish

            Message 5 of 9 , May 23, 2010
              No, not in that or in subsequent issues of that series. Her origins and background are completely mysterious, a la similar characters like the Phantom Stranger.

              Alan

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , May 23, 2010
                I suppose it is that very mysteriousness that invites writers to fiddle with
                her background and "meaning," imprinting whatever mythology or origin they
                want onto her. I'm fairly surprised there's no comic which reveals that
                Phantom Stranger is actually Merlin or, perhaps more likely considering
                comics, that the Phantom Stranger went to Arthurian England and adopted the
                identity of Merlin while he advised the King there.

                On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Alan Stewart <merrygawain@...> wrote:

                > No, not in that or in subsequent issues of that series. Her origins and
                > background are completely mysterious, a la similar characters like the
                > Phantom Stranger.
                >
                > Alan
                >
                > ________________________________

                doctorcomics.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2010
                  On Sun, May 23, 2010 12:08, Jason Tondro wrote:
                  > I suppose it is that very mysteriousness that invites writers to fiddle
                  > with her background and "meaning," imprinting whatever mythology or origin
                  > they want onto her. I'm fairly surprised there's no comic which reveals
                  > that Phantom Stranger is actually Merlin or, perhaps more likely
                  > considering comics, that the Phantom Stranger went to Arthurian England
                  > and adopted the identity of Merlin while he advised the King there.

                  If only as a part of the origin of the DC character The Demon, Merlin is
                  pretty much established as a separate character. Which doesn't rule out a
                  story with the Stranger assuming Merlin's identity for a time.

                  As for the Stranger's origin: DC did an issue of Secret Origins for him in
                  the 80s. Four different writers wrote four different stories.

                  Paul Gadzikowski, scarfman@...
                  http://arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/0001.htm New cartoons daily
                  http://arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/3faces/aaaa.htm Fanfiction cartoons

                  "Oh, not another mastodon!"
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24, 2010
                    Oh sure. DC had three different Merlins running around, last I checked. And
                    I know there have been origins for the Stranger. I was just generally
                    speculating on the temptation to graft characters with mysterious and
                    undefined origins onto well-known tropes like Arthur.

                    It reminds me of that throw-away sequence in a page of Forever People when
                    the team go back to Arthurian England and more or less accidentally cause
                    Arthur to pull the sword out of the stone. I don't think Kirby cared a whole
                    lot for continuity, at least not if it got in the way of an amusing gag.

                    --
                    doctorcomics.blogspot.com

                  • mtorreg2001
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 25, 2010
                      Hi, again. I had a bunch of interviews with Wagner, and I think this (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090809-WagnerXanadu.html) may have been the one I meant to quote from on his presentation of Xanadu as the Lady of the Lake, though it seems to refer back to the SPECTRE story.

                      The interviewer asks: "What made the fall of Camelot the right starting point for this story?"

                      Wagner replies: "Well, that was existing canon. Continuity said she once was the nymph Nimue, who locked Merlin away. So that was already there. "

                      Michael