CFP: Conference on Superheroes (6/30/09; Oregon 10/23-24/09)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20 4:42 AM
      CALL FOR PAPERS

      Understanding Superheroes

      An Interdisciplinary Conference at the University of Oregon

      Location: The University of Oregon, Eugene, OR

      Dates: October 23-24, 2009

      �Understanding Superheroes� is conceived as an interdisciplinary multi-media
      event, held in conjunction with a simultaneous exhibition of original comic
      art at the UO�s Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art.

      This exhibition, �Faster Than A Speeding Bullet,� will feature over 150
      pages of original superhero comic art from the 1940s to the present, with
      examples of key works by many major creators in the industry, including Neal
      Adams, Mike Allred, C C Beck, Gene Colan, Steve Ditko, Will Eisner, Bill
      Everett, Lou Fine, Ramona Fradon, Dave Gibbons, Don Heck, Carmine Infantino,
      J G Jones, Gil Kane, Jack Kirby, Joe Kubert, Mort Meskin, Frank Miller, Joe
      Orlando, George Perez, H G Peter, Mac Raboy, John Romita Sr., Alex Ross,
      Marie Severin, Bill
      Sienkiewicz, Matt Wagner, and Berni Wrightson.

      Keynote Speakers include Danny Fingeroth (author of Superheroes On The Couch
      and Disguised As Clark Kent) and Charles Hatfield (author of Alternative
      Comics: An Emerging Literature).

      Guests Panelists include Kurt Busiek (author of numerous Superhero titles
      for Marvel and DC, and creator of the award-winning Astro City series), Greg
      Rucka (co-creator of Gotham Central, White Out, Queen & Country, and many
      projects for Marvel and DC), and Gail Simone (writer on Marvel�s Deadpool,
      DC�s Birds of Prey, co-creator of Welcome To
      Tranquility for Wildstorm, and current Wonder Woman scribe)!

      Other guests TBA.

      We invite 1-2 page proposals for 20-30 minute conference papers considering
      the implications of superhero fantasies for our understanding of such
      diverse topics as gender identity, queerness, theological yearning, and
      nationalist politics. We also welcome appreciative discussions of superhero
      comics as significant aesthetic achievements � particularly insofar as those
      discussions contribute to the ongoing project within contemporary Comics
      Studies, to map the unique conventions of the comic art form. Above all,
      we are interested in sophisticated, lucidly written analyses that utilize
      the
      conceptual tools and hermeneutic lenses of contemporary literary and
      cultural theory.

      It is our hope that this conference will help all participants,
      student and professional, skeptic and fan, to understand the
      extraordinary imaginative appeal of the costumed adventurer � an appeal that
      overlaps significant distinctions of age, gender, nation, and culture, and
      which no amount of silliness or cynicism seems quite able to dispel.

      Please address queries and submit proposals via email to Ben Saunders,
      Associate Professor, Department of English by Monday, June 30tth, 2009.
      (Email address: ben@...)

      The Society for the Study of Popular Culture and the Middle Ages
      http://PopularCultureandtheMiddleAges.blogspot.com/