Re: Knights of Pendragon

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
      Jason,

      I plan to do more with the series at some point (starting with some
      mention of Albion in WWII for PCA and the Grail arc for Kalamazoo). I
      do have some comments on it in Barbara Lupack's book. I think that is
      the only piece of scholarship to reference it (unless there is
      something in the ARTHURIAN ENCYCLOPEDIA and its Supplements). There
      should also by an entry in the ARTHURIAN ANNALS. I can send more
      specifics later in the week.

      Michael

      --- In arthurian_comixlist@yahoogroups.com, Jason Tondro <jtondro@...>

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2007
        Michael said,

        > I can send more specifics later in the week.

        That would be very helpful, thank you! What do you think of the series? Does your analysis of the series go in a particular direction you feel like sharing? I'll look up Barbara's book for your comments also.

        Jason
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2007
          So Michael, I (at long last!) read your chapter in Barbara's book on
          Arthurian comics and you have corrected my previous assumption on
          Claremont's use of Arthur in Excalibur. I always presumed it was just
          a marketing ploy, but I think you make a pretty good case --
          especially with Claremont's illuminating quote on the topic -- that
          there was at least a token effort to capture the spirit of Arthur
          there, or the sword, even if later issues of the comic seemed to have
          little to do with the myth itself.

          I was not sure what I was going to say about Knights of Pendragon
          until I read an editor's response in the letter column of, I think,
          issue 13. The editor wrote, apparently in complete sincerity, that
          what differentiated Arthurian myth from other legendary characters in
          Britain's past is that Arthur had no political or geographical
          agenda; he was a "global hero" intent on protecting the world at
          large, not his country per se.

          I think this is going to give me some traction, and I anticipate
          talking about Arthur's adoption as a global myth that somehow relates
          to all cultures. Naturally, because of my background, I'll mostly be
          illustrating this trend through comics.

          Jason