Knights of Pendragon

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      So I am working on my diss at last and today I got around to reading
      the first volume of Knights of Pendragon. It seems deserving of
      treatment; I have of course read Alan's page for it at Camelot in
      Four Colors. What do you all think of it, and has anyone used it in
      an article or paper?

      Cheers
      Jason Tondro
      UC Riverside
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
        Jason,

        I plan to do more with the series at some point (starting with some
        mention of Albion in WWII for PCA and the Grail arc for Kalamazoo). I
        do have some comments on it in Barbara Lupack's book. I think that is
        the only piece of scholarship to reference it (unless there is
        something in the ARTHURIAN ENCYCLOPEDIA and its Supplements). There
        should also by an entry in the ARTHURIAN ANNALS. I can send more
        specifics later in the week.

        Michael

        --- In arthurian_comixlist@yahoogroups.com, Jason Tondro <jtondro@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2007
          Michael said,

          > I can send more specifics later in the week.

          That would be very helpful, thank you! What do you think of the series? Does your analysis of the series go in a particular direction you feel like sharing? I'll look up Barbara's book for your comments also.

          Jason
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2007
            So Michael, I (at long last!) read your chapter in Barbara's book on
            Arthurian comics and you have corrected my previous assumption on
            Claremont's use of Arthur in Excalibur. I always presumed it was just
            a marketing ploy, but I think you make a pretty good case --
            especially with Claremont's illuminating quote on the topic -- that
            there was at least a token effort to capture the spirit of Arthur
            there, or the sword, even if later issues of the comic seemed to have
            little to do with the myth itself.

            I was not sure what I was going to say about Knights of Pendragon
            until I read an editor's response in the letter column of, I think,
            issue 13. The editor wrote, apparently in complete sincerity, that
            what differentiated Arthurian myth from other legendary characters in
            Britain's past is that Arthur had no political or geographical
            agenda; he was a "global hero" intent on protecting the world at
            large, not his country per se.

            I think this is going to give me some traction, and I anticipate
            talking about Arthur's adoption as a global myth that somehow relates
            to all cultures. Naturally, because of my background, I'll mostly be
            illustrating this trend through comics.

            Jason