JLA is Arthurian!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006
      I discovered the following in my reading this week:

      Beatty, Scott. JLA: The Ultimate Guide to the Justice League of America. New York: DK Publishing, 2002. 0-7894-8893-0

      Designed for general readers, Beatty offers an encyclopedic look at the forty-plus-year history of the Justice League of America and focuses primarily on the recent JLA comic book series (Jan. 1997-) and events in the post-Crisis ­DC Universe contemporary to its run. The books covers members of the League, their allies and enemies, and concludes with a comprehensive timeline of the League's history from its formation in The Brave and the Bold No. 28 (Feb.-Mar. 1960) through the return of Aquaman in JLA No. 72 (Late Sept. 2002). Of relevance to the study of the Matter of Britain in the comics medium, the following serves as a caption to an illustration of the League seated at their own Round Table, which stands at the center of the Hall of Justice, the meeting room of the League's lunar-based Watchtower: "Like its namesake in Arthurian legend, the Round Table symbolizes unity, an unbroken circle that stresses equality over precedence" (p. 26). [8/31/06]

      Michael A. Torregrossa, M. A.
      34 Second Street
      Smithfield, RI 02917-3627

      Web sites:

      King Arthur Forever: An Online Guide to Studying and Teaching the Arthurian Legend and Related Material
      <http://www.KingArthurForever.org>

      'Young Indiana Jones: Travels With Father' (1996)

      Nikos Kazantzakis: "Well, your father is living in the Dark Ages!"

      Young Indy: "Almost--My father is a medievalist."