Re: Gangs of Camelot etc

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2006
      Jason,

      Thanks for the ComicCon news. My sister called Friday about having
      free tickets, but, alas, aifare from RI to California is expensive.

      Michael

      --- In arthurian_comixlist@yahoogroups.com, Jason Tondro
      <jtondro@...> wrote:

      > So at the ComiCon yesterday I came upon this gem, apparently not
      > offered via Diamond yet. It was labeled a "Convention Exclusive."
      >
      > Gangs of Camelot is a 48 page one-shot, full color, "Connecticut
      > Yankee" story in which, in an effort to teach a young and
      uncertain
      > Arthur how to be courageous, Merlin travels to 1930s Chicago and
      > summons Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, Bugsy Siegel and Frank "Machine
      > Gun" Kelly to Camelot. Much wackiness ensues.
      >
      > The "toybox" aspect of Arthurian adaptation is very much in
      evidence
      > here, with the legend all mixed up to suit the author's purpose.
      > Arthur, Guenevere and Lancelot are all friends and teenagers
      > (referred to as "kids" by the mobsters). Arthur has yet to draw
      the
      > sword from the stone, after apparently failing several times to
      the
      > general amusement of the peasants. Merlin, who was seducing Nimue
      and
      > Viviane (who are sisters), was caught by them and Viviane,
      apparently
      > out of a sense of spurned love and a general nasty disposition,
      has
      > taken her apprentice Morgan and set up an evil realm in the
      absence
      > of Arthur's theoretical good one.
      >
      > Merlin brings the mobsters in to help Arthur "find his stones,"
      which
      > reminds me of the classic FF story (#5?) in which the team go off
      in
      > search of Merlin's Stones only to end up on Blackbeard's pirate
      ship,
      > but I digress. Evil knights and fire-breathing dragons prove to be
      no
      > match for a Lucky's period Phantom automobile and its trunkful of
      > '30s era weaponry, especially the redoubtable Tommy Gun. When
      Arthur
      > still can't pull the sword out of the stone, Al and his buddies
      shoot
      > the stone to pieces with their Thompsons and, when the peasants
      > aren't sure if this counts, staring down the barrels of said boom-
      > sticks convinces them. Arthur is made king. Yay!
      >
      > The mobsters feel their work is done and are anxious to return
      home,
      > but Vivian and her evil knights show up to kidnap "the kids".
      While
      > the other gangsters begin to show sympathy for the three teens
      and
      > suggest helping them, Capone insists they have no more obligation
      > Merlin and should be able to go home. But when Capone learns that
      > Viviane's knights have maimed a young girl by chopping off her
      hand
      > -- a crime that was also performed on a young member of Capone's
      own
      > family back on Earth -- his desire for revenge is triggered and
      he
      > agrees to seek out the Queen in a climactic battle. Dynamite
      takes
      > care of her castle, Tommy Guns handle the rest, and Merlin shows
      up
      > conveniently at the end and imprisons Viviane and Morgan with
      spells
      > which he could have used on page 2.
      >
      > The author has done some research and it shows in small ways, such
      as
      > the use of various names from the legend. For example, in an
      > epilogue, when word arrives in Arthur's court that the forces of
      King
      > Mark have been defeated, the messenger is Dagonet -- who has a
      famous
      > interaction with King Mark in the Books of Sir Tristram. The book
      > also has an entertaining swing between self-serving mobsters who
      pass
      > the time telling stories about how they sent a bouquet of flowers
      > a rival gangster (but not before packing it with hand grenades)
      and
      > Robin Hood-style criminal idealizations of the "noble thief." The
      art
      > is attractive and the color especially good -- when the artist
      works
      > on the evil characters his style becomes especially reminiscent
      of
      > Dan Brereton.
      >
      > The company is Law Dog Comics. Full credits for the creative team
      are
      > not given, but are listed only as so: Story and Breakdowns: Jimmy
      the
      > Fish. Artist: Vicente the Hammer. Colorist: Machine Gun Djoko.
      Edits:

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2006
        Jason,

        Also check out the ARCHAIA STUDIOS PRESS booth for THE SECRET HISTORY which
        is grail related. Wish I was there!