Re: Dracula vs. King Arthur

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
      Has anyone else picked up DRACULA VS KING ARTHUR? It seems to be
      the most Arthurian of anything so far this year. Morrison's work is
      (as usual) odd, and the point of BEYOND AVALON seems to be that
      Arthur (who was in No. 1, along with Joseph of Arimathia) has gone
      missing.

      Michael

      --- In arthurian_comixlist@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Torregrossa"
      <mtorregrossa@a...> wrote:
      > Wizard 162 (Sp. 2005) also includes a brief notice on the upcoming
      Dracula vs. King Arthur series, which is featured as one of "49
      things you need to know about indie comics in 2005" (p. 148).

      > Michael
      >

      > Michael A. Torregrossa, M. A.
      > 34 Second Street
      > Smithfield, RI 02917-3627
      >
      > Web sites:
      >
      > King Arthur Forever: An Online Guide to Studying and Teaching the
      Arthurian Legend and Related Material

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005

        I've not read Beyond Avalon. Is it interesting?

        JT

        "Don't follow me blindly. Challenge me boldly." -- Dr. Buckaroo Banzai
      • mtorregrossa@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
          Jason,

          I think Beyond Avalon has potential, but the second issue was not very interesting.

          Michael

          -------------- Original message from Jason Tondro <jtondro@...>: --------------

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
            --- Michael Torregrossa <mtorregrossa@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone else picked up DRACULA VS KING ARTHUR?
            > It seems to be
            > the most Arthurian of anything so far this year.

            I read the first issue this week. The "most
            Arthurian?" I guess so. Not the most interesting,
            though, IMHO. I'd rate it as not quite as bad I'd
            feared, but not as good as I'd been led to hope from
            some of the online reviews.

            > Morrison's work is
            > (as usual) odd, and the point of BEYOND AVALON seems
            > to be that
            > Arthur (who was in No. 1, along with Joseph of
            > Arimathia) has gone
            > missing.

            I'll agree with you about *Beyond Avalon* -- the first
            issue was interesting, but with the second we're
            launched into what seems to be pretty generic heroic
            fantasy -- not badly executed, but nothing special,
            either.

            As for Grant Morrision -- I suppose he's an acquired
            taste, but I acquired it a couple of decades ago and
            am willing to follow him quite a long way. You've got
            to give him points for audacity if nothing else --
            e.g., this speech from *SS: Shining Knight* #3:

            "Would you believe me if I told you this weapon was
            carved by artisans of the first Arthurian epoch,
            10,000 years ago, somewhere in the 81st century
            BC?...There were of course several Arthurs; a pagan
            gneral in Roman Britain, a medieval Christian
            mystic..."

            What the -- ?

            But my favorite bit so far is probably the appearance
            of Gawain in issue #1, where Morrison manages to make
            reference to Gwalchmai ("Hawk of May"), the Silent
            Knight, and the latter character's connection to
            Hawkman with one elegant (if continuity-bending)
            panel.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/