Dracula vs. King Arthur

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2005
      Wizard 162 (Sp. 2005) also includes a brief notice on the upcoming Dracula vs. King Arthur series, which is featured as one of "49 things you need to know about indie comics in 2005" (p. 148).

      Michael

      Michael A. Torregrossa, M. A.
      34 Second Street
      Smithfield, RI 02917-3627

      Web sites:

      King Arthur Forever: An Online Guide to Studying and Teaching the Arthurian Legend and Related Material
      <http://www.KingArthurForever.org>

      'Young Indiana Jones: Travels With Father' (1996)

      Nikos Kazantzakis: "Well, your father is living in the Dark Ages!"

      Young Indy: "Almost--My father is a medievalist."

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
        Has anyone else picked up DRACULA VS KING ARTHUR? It seems to be
        the most Arthurian of anything so far this year. Morrison's work is
        (as usual) odd, and the point of BEYOND AVALON seems to be that
        Arthur (who was in No. 1, along with Joseph of Arimathia) has gone
        missing.

        Michael

        --- In arthurian_comixlist@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Torregrossa"

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005

          I've not read Beyond Avalon. Is it interesting?

          JT

          "Don't follow me blindly. Challenge me boldly." -- Dr. Buckaroo Banzai
        • mtorregrossa@att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
            Jason,

            I think Beyond Avalon has potential, but the second issue was not very interesting.

            Michael

            -------------- Original message from Jason Tondro <jtondro@...>: --------------

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
              --- Michael Torregrossa <mtorregrossa@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone else picked up DRACULA VS KING ARTHUR?
              > It seems to be
              > the most Arthurian of anything so far this year.

              I read the first issue this week. The "most
              Arthurian?" I guess so. Not the most interesting,
              though, IMHO. I'd rate it as not quite as bad I'd
              feared, but not as good as I'd been led to hope from
              some of the online reviews.

              > Morrison's work is
              > (as usual) odd, and the point of BEYOND AVALON seems
              > to be that
              > Arthur (who was in No. 1, along with Joseph of
              > Arimathia) has gone
              > missing.

              I'll agree with you about *Beyond Avalon* -- the first
              issue was interesting, but with the second we're
              launched into what seems to be pretty generic heroic
              fantasy -- not badly executed, but nothing special,
              either.

              As for Grant Morrision -- I suppose he's an acquired
              taste, but I acquired it a couple of decades ago and
              am willing to follow him quite a long way. You've got
              to give him points for audacity if nothing else --
              e.g., this speech from *SS: Shining Knight* #3:

              "Would you believe me if I told you this weapon was
              carved by artisans of the first Arthurian epoch,
              10,000 years ago, somewhere in the 81st century
              BC?...There were of course several Arthurs; a pagan
              gneral in Roman Britain, a medieval Christian
              mystic..."

              What the -- ?

              But my favorite bit so far is probably the appearance
              of Gawain in issue #1, where Morrison manages to make
              reference to Gwalchmai ("Hawk of May"), the Silent
              Knight, and the latter character's connection to
              Hawkman with one elegant (if continuity-bending)
              panel.

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/