Arthurian references in new comics/films

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2005
      There is an Arthurian reference in the recent Excalibur No. 8 (2/2005) by Chris Claremont. The premise of the new series is that Professor Xavier and Magneto are now living in Genosha (the mutant South Africa of the Marvel Universe) and trying to bring order out of the recent chaos (which apparently occurred in a book I seem to have missed). In this issue, Xavier and former Morlock Callisto set off to locate the surviving mutant population of Genosha. Xavier explains, "For the likes of us, might making right comes naturally." Callisto responds, "Save the speech. You're preaching to the choir, 'King Arthur.' " Xavier: "Hardly that. Uther Pendragon, perhaps. Last vestige of the old regime." Callisto: "Nah! That's way more Magneto." Xavier: " 'Merlyn,' then, on a quest for the true king."

      Also, the latest Starlog (3/05) includes a piece on the film Constantine and notes (p. 40) that a piece of the Spear of Destiny is vital to the plot.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2005
        > The premise of the new series is that Professor Xavier and Magneto
        > are now living in Genosha (the mutant South Africa of the Marvel
        > Universe) and trying to bring order out of the recent chaos (which
        > apparently occurred in a book I seem to have missed.

        In case it is for some reason important ...

        Genosha was bombed into oblivion in the first four pages of Grant
        Morrisson's run on the X-Men. Sentinels organized a nuclear strike
        which killed a million or so mutants and which appeared to kill Magneto
        as well. Magneto, of course, got better.

        JT
      • mtorregrossa@att.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 21, 2005
          Thanks, Jason. That explains why I had no recollection of Genosha's demise--I've blocked Morrisons's run from my memory.

          Michael

          -------------- Original message from Jason Tondro <jtondro@...>: --------------

          > The premise of the new series is that Professor Xavier and Magneto
          > are now living in Genosha (the mutant South Africa of the Marvel
          > Universe) and trying to bring order out of the recent chaos (which
          > apparently occurred in a book I seem to have missed.

          In case it is for some reason important ...

          Genosha was bombed into oblivion in the first four pages of Grant
          Morrisson's run on the X-Men. Sentinels organized a nuclear strike
          which killed a million or so mutants and which appeared to kill Magneto
          as well. Magneto, of course, got better.

          JT

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 22, 2005
            My pleasure.

            You know, I actually thought parts of Morrisson's work wasn't so bad.
            Obviously the whole Xorn/Magneto shell game should have been aborted at
            birth, but I thought the "virtual love affair" plot was a kind of neat
            metaphor for cyber-romance. I also rather liked the idea that Magneto
            was a much more important and influential figure when he was *dead*
            than when he was alive.

            But a lot of people have taken the amnesia route, I admit, erasing the
            entire run from active memory.

            Jason

            "Don't follow me blindly. Challenge me boldly." -- Dr. Buckaroo Banzai