INQ: SOJOURN and GOLD DIGGER

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2005
      Two questions on relevance:

      1. The GRAND COMICS DATABASE PROJECT <http://www.comics.org> lists a character named Gareth in Crossgen's Sojourn. From advertisements, he looks to be a young man with a beard and eye patch. Does anyone know if he has any connection to the Arthurian Gareth?

      2. A July 2003 solicitation in Previews (check the list archives) suggests that the protagonists of Antarctic Press's Gold Digger battle a dragon named Dreadwing for possession of Merlin's time sled in Gold Digger Pocket Manga No. 1 (ISBN 1-93245-300-8). I finally tracked don this book, but there is no mention of Merlin here. Is any one on list a follower of the series and can elucidate?

      Thanks in advance,

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2005
        Re: Gareth:

        Sojourn is not set in the Arthurian mythos, so Gareth is certainly not
        the Gareth of myth. He is an archer more than a soldier, with a history
        of shady behavior. He is, if you will, the Han Solo of Sojourn.

        That being said, I think there is a thematic influence, particularly in
        the aspect of Gareth hanging out with a dynamic and forceful woman who
        speaks her mind and isn't too impressed with Gareth when they first
        meet (in the comic, of course, I'm referring to Gareth's co-star,
        Arwen, the lead character in the book).

        I don't know if that qualifies as "Arthurian" or not.

        Jason
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2005
          In a message dated 1/17/2005 12:56:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          mtorregrossa@... writes:

          A July 2003 solicitation in Previews (check the list archives) suggests that
          the protagonists of Antarctic Press's Gold Digger battle a dragon named
          Dreadwing for possession of Merlin's time sled in Gold Digger Pocket Manga No. 1
          (ISBN 1-93245-300-8). I finally tracked don this book, but there is no
          mention of Merlin here. Is any one on list a follower of the series and can
          elucidate?

          Thanks in advance,
          Michael

          I contacted the books writer and he said that he intended it to be Merlin's
          sled, and sometime in later books, it is. It is also Merlin's in the video
          version. I was disappointed that it solicited as one but turned out not to be
          Arthurian.