Fw: 1920s Arthurian Comic Strip (UK)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2004
      From: <PlatinumAgeComics@yahoogroups.com>
      To: <PlatinumAgeComics@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 10:02 PM
      Subject: [Platinum] Digest Number 1611

      Message: 4
      Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:12:25 -0700
      From: John Adcock <ponche@...>
      Subject: Flapper at King A's Court

      "Cuddles. A Flapper at King Arthur's Court" by Forbell. Kay Features Inc.
      Great Britain Rights Reserved. March 4/29, March 5, 29, May 6, 29. Toronto
      Telegram.
      http://img29.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img29&image=flapper.jpg
      Canadian or British strip.
      British artist J. Millar Watt's "Pop" also ran here in the twenties as did
      Flo Lancaster and Thomas Maybank's "Uncle Oojah," kids comic with an Indian
      elephant hero. Oojah had everything ; balloons, captions; poetry.
      Bryan Munn tells me the Toronto Telegram had a number of strips as well as
      1933's "Men of the Mounted" and "Robin Hood" by writer Ted McCall who went
      on to work with Canadian comic book company Anglo American in the forties.
      I found one - a poor strip called "Charlie Chump An All-Canadian Comic
      Strip" by Harold B. West. (1924) British and Colonial Press. TT published
      cartoon contests for the readers, and judging by its quality- this would be
      where West was recruited. January 9, 1924 ;
      http://img17.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img17&image=chump1.jpg
      Anglo American ;
      http://www.collectionscanada.ca/comics/t17-8300-e.html
      John

      Platinum Age Comics Discussion Group Co-Moderators:
      Robert Beerbohm beerbohm@...
      Leonardo De Sá leonardo.desa@...

      Discussing the earliest international origins
      of comic books and strips. Subscribe at:
      http://www.Yahoogroups.com/subscribe/PlatinumAgeComics