Re: [arthurian_comixlist] Medieval Parodies

  • Nastali@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2004
      Well, here's a bit on Oaky Doaks, with an emphasis on its Arthurian content.
      The strip was created and written by Bill McCleery in 1935, with the Sunday
      strips illustrated by Bill Dyer and the dailies by Ralph Briggs Fuller, the
      artist most closely associated with the strip. Fuller began drawing both dailies
      and Sundays in 1944.

      It was a humor strip set in the Middle Ages but full of anachronisms, and the
      title character was a sort of genial lout who became a knight and was always
      being pursued by very pretty damsels. In 1941, the setting of the story
      shifted to Camelot, where the hero's love interest became Princess Elaine, King
      Arthur's daughter. Morgana Le Fay was frequently the scheming villainess. After a
      few years, the story shifted away from Camelot to the kingdom of Uncertainia,
      though occasional Arthurian figures popped up in it.

      In 1942, an American comic book (Oaky Doaks # 1, Eastern Color Printing)
      collected and colorized several weeks worth of dailies, but with no Arthurian
      content. The strip was also reprinted in Famous Funnies (Famous Funnies
      Publications) through the 1940s and into the early 1950s, with the Arthurian era stuff
      included. Around 1955, an Australian publisher (Famous American Comics) issued
      at least one collection--and probably more--of the strip in comic book form,
      but you'll need to find someone who knows a lot more about Australian comics
      for complete info.

      I've seen examples of Sir Bagby, but never enough to know whether it
      incorporated Arthurian content at any point. I'd like information about that myself.

      Dan Nastali

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
        I am looking for info (and books) on Oaky Doaks and Sir Bagby; two
        medieval parody comic strips. Can anyone help?

        Besides one issue of the magazine, NEMO, #9, I know of no other info. on
        OAKY DOAKS, except it was a common strip in many collection types of comic
        books. Tell us more about, SIR BAGBY.

      • hazekel
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2004
          All I really know about Sir Babgy is what I read in the Encyclopedea
          of Comic Strips. Sir Bagby was a knight and a parody. Apparently he
          is more of a Don Quixote type, but lived by in Arthur's day. I wrote
          off to King Features about these but haven't heard back on them yet.