Re: Merlin reference in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2003
      --- In arthurian_comixlist@yahoogroups.com, "Michael
      Torregrossa" <mtorregrossa@a...> wrote:
      > ... Do these warrant entry in our cataloguing efforts or not?

      Well, I guess it depends on how you define the parameters of
      your catalogue. I can't imagine someone doing a bibliography of
      Arthurian prose fiction, for example, that included every story or
      novel with a single reference to an Arthurian element. The oaths
      in these stories appear to be included just for a little medieval
      flavor and have no other significance in the the story.

      But it's a fine line, I'll grant you. What should we make of
      Vertigo's recent "Zatanna: Everyday Magic" special which
      includes a character called Nimue -- who is explicitly identified
      as *not* being the character of Arthurian tradition, but whose
      name clearly relates to her role in the story as a "wicked"
      sorceress and Zatanna's enemy? Is this an Arthurian (or at
      least quasi-Arthurian) story?

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2003
        Alan,

        Thanks for your input as I start to organize my catalogue and translate it into publishable form.

        > ... Do these warrant entry in our cataloguing efforts or not?

        Well, I guess it depends on how you define the parameters of
        your catalogue. I can't imagine someone doing a bibliography of
        Arthurian prose fiction, for example, that included every story or
        novel with a single reference to an Arthurian element. The oaths
        in these stories appear to be included just for a little medieval
        flavor and have no other significance in the the story.

        But it's a fine line, I'll grant you. What should we make of
        Vertigo's recent "Zatanna: Everyday Magic" special which
        includes a character called Nimue -- who is explicitly identified
        as *not* being the character of Arthurian tradition, but whose
        name clearly relates to her role in the story as a "wicked"
        sorceress and Zatanna's enemy? Is this an Arthurian (or at
        least quasi-Arthurian) story?

        Alan

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor