Grail maidens?

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2003
      Dear list members,

      I'm slowly working on my paper for next week's popular culture conference in
      New Orleans on representations of the Arthurian women in the comics. I was
      wondering if anyone might recall having seen any images of Grail maidens in
      the comics.

      Thanks,
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2003
        Michael,

        I'm thinking of lots of Ladies of the Lake (Mage's Edsel, the newest
        incarnation of Aquaman, etc.), but Grail Maidens are harder to come by.
        Have you looked at Batman's The Chalice recently? Also, if we believe
        Morrison's admission that the "Rock of Ages" storyline in JLA was a
        Grail quest, it is almost certain that he meant one of the supporting
        cast there to be the Grail Maiden. She may only appear in a single
        panel or cameo, however. Green Lantern is the Grail Quester of that
        particular story, so the Grail Maiden may be one of the people he meets
        on Wonderworld.

        On a related note, though I have not had a chance to look at the series
        in its entirety, Morrison also said he had written the last volume of
        The Invisibles as an attempt to update Arthurian characters. I wonder
        if there's a Grail in there?

        JT

        "... together through ages of the world we have fought the long
        defeat." -- Galadriel, "The Mirror of Galadriel"

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2003
          Jason,,

          Thanks for your input. So far I've come across a few Guineveres and lots of Morgans and Ladies of the Lake, but no Grail Maidens (unless you want to count Sailor Moon). There is nothing in The Chalice, but I'll try "Rock of Ages," as you suggest.

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor