Fw: From Hell as Arthurian?

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi. As a reply to my recent inquiry on the Comics Scholar's D-List (about
      Corto Maltese and Oaky Doaks), I received the following reply. Has anyone
      read 'From Hell'?

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
        I have read From Hell, in installments as it came out (beginning over a
        decade ago). I don't recall any Arthurian references, but that doesn't
        mean there are not some in there. Moore tries to make the comic as
        encyclopedic as possible, pulling in everything he can think of. There
        may therefore be some reference to Arthur. If so, I'd suggest looking in
        Gull's speeches for it. My own copies of the various issues are strewn
        here and there; it could take me a while to find all of them and check
        carefully.

        Dom

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002

          I've read "From Hell," though I do not have it readily at hand. No
          *specific* Arthurian element stands out, but I do not doubt that there
          is a reference or two in there somewhere. Moore's Ripper, Dr. Gull,
          takes a mystical tour of London in which he invokes just about every
          occult conspiracy motif you could imagine. Arthur's return, or related
          myths, are no doubt in Moore's footnotes, which are copious and
          fascinating reading.

          Gull's whole motivation for performing the murders is to tip the balance
          in the eternal war of the masculine against the feminine. The murders
          are, in fact, an occult ritual that (more or less) succeeds. "Arthur's
          Return" becomes a symbol of this triumph of the masculine over the
          feminine.

          Alas, I cannot help you on Mage. Again, read it, but don't have the
          original issues handy.

          Jason

          --
          As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods;
          They kill us for their sport.
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
            Thanks, Jason.

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
              Thanks for your reply,
              I have read From Hell, in installments as it came out (beginning over a
              decade ago). I don't recall any Arthurian references, but that doesn't
              mean there are not some in there. Moore tries to make the comic as
              encyclopedic as possible, pulling in everything he can think of. There
              may therefore be some reference to Arthur. If so, I'd suggest looking in
              Gull's speeches for it. My own copies of the various issues are strewn
              here and there; it could take me a while to find all of them and check
              carefully.

              Dom

              On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Michael Torregrossa wrote:

              > Hi. As a reply to my recent inquiry on the Comics Scholar's D-List (about
              > Corto Maltese and Oaky Doaks), I received the following reply. Has anyone
              > read 'From Hell'?
              >
              > Michael

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              I'm a Woman Man seeking a Man Woman