Skull the Slayer

  • merrygawain
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      I've recently been re-organizing my comics collection and have
      rediscovered an obscure quasi-Arthurian storyline that appeared
      in issues 4 and 5 of Marvel Comics' short-lived "Skull The Slayer"
      series (1976). The series concerns the exploits of a group of
      modern Americans who become displaced in time after passing
      into the Bermuda Triangle. In issue #4, the titular hero appears
      to journey to Camelot. He meets the Black Knight and Merlin,
      and Morgan Le Fay is also viewed briefly. In issue #5, these
      three are revealed to be lifelike robots, while a robotic Arthur
      makes an appearance as well.

      Interestingly, in re-reading these issues, it seems likely that the
      scripter of the storyline's first chapter (Steve Englehart) intended
      these characters to be the "real" Arthurian figures, but the
      writer who took over the series with #5 (Bill Mantlo) chose to
      take the story in a different direction.

      -- Alan