Re: Marvel UK Modred

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
      Michael, I've only seen a couple of Mordred's Marvel UK appearances
      (Hulk Weekly episodes reprinted in the second Marvel UK Captain
      Britain title), but I would identify him as the traditional Arthurian
      character -- the same version as has appeared in the US Marvel
      Universe books (Avengers, Black Knight miniseries, etc.)

      Alan
    • mtorregrossa@att.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
        Alan,

        I've seen maybe 8 of the UK stories (including all those in Captain
        Britain), and I tend to think it is a different Modred because he is
        a magician. Maybe the UK Modred is a variant of Modred the Mystic,
        but I cannot see him as the same as the Arthurian Mordred. On what
        evidence do you connect the two? (Maybe you, or someone else on the
        list, has seen the particular issue with a definitive answer.)

        Respectfully,
        Michael

        --- In arthurian_comixlist@y..., "Alan Stewart" <merrygawain@y...>

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
          OK.  First, I have the entire HULK run and the Modred in them is the same
          Modred that is in the Marvel Chillers, etc.  MORDRED is a different
          character, as seen in the first 3 issues of the new volume of the AVENGERS.
          Both characters are listed in different listings in the MARVEL character
          listings.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 20, 2001
            Great!  Thanks, Rodney.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 23, 2001
              --- In arthurian_comixlist@y..., mtorregrossa@a... wrote:

              > I've seen maybe 8 of the UK stories (including all those in Captain
              > Britain), and I tend to think it is a different Modred because he
              is
              > a magician. Maybe the UK Modred is a variant of Modred the Mystic,
              > but I cannot see him as the same as the Arthurian Mordred. On what
              > evidence do you connect the two? (Maybe you, or someone else on
              the
              > list, has seen the particular issue with a definitive answer.)

              My identification of the Marvel UK Modred with the Arthurian
              Mordred (Modred, Medraut) is based primarily on Marvel Super-
              Heroes #17. In this story, "Modred the Evil" (please note spelling)
              is identified in a flashback as Arthur's nephew and enemy. Modred
              kills the original Black Knight, Percy of Scandia, during his final
              assault on Arthur's forces. Merlin casts a spell which ensures that
              Percy's spirit will live on through another "when the spirit of
              Modred
              the Evil once more stalks the land." In the present day, Modred
              appears to Paul Richarde and magically empowers him to become
              the villain Le Sabre. After the new Black Knight (Dane Whitman)
              defeats Le Sabre, Modred is confronted by the Nether Gods, who,
              in his words, "gave my spirit the power to walk once more amongst
              men!" (Compare this scene with the description of Modred in the
              first chapter of the Marvel UK Black Knight serial as reprinted in
              Captain Britain #12: "Modred! Prime mover of darkness...
              enthralled by the Nether Gods to battle ever for power over the
              minds of men...")

              Modred also appears in this guise in Defenders (vol. 1) #11 (the
              issue which brings Dane Whitman to the 12th century), and
              all of these events are sketched in flashback in the first issue
              of the Black Knight miniseries, in which the continuity-
              minded writer Roy Thomas helpfully standardizes the spelling
              of the character's name as Mordred to minimize confusion
              with Modred the Mystic.

              All that said, I'm not sure what to make of Rodney's assertion
              that the Modred in the Marvel UK Black Knight series is the
              character introduced in Marvel Chillers #1. On the other
              hand, I've only read the three installments reprinted in
              Captain Britain #12-14, while Rodney has the whole Hulk
              Weekly run. So -- Rodney, can you enlighten us further?
              What's the specific evidence in the stories that links this
              Modred with the Darkhold-possessed Marvel character?

              Respectfully yours,
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 23, 2001
                Alan,

                Give me a bit of time to review the whole thing and I'll get back to you!