Re: [arthurian_comixlist] Marvel UK Modred

  • Mark Burgess
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2001
      Hi Michael and all,

      I'm new to the list and my knowledge of Arthurian comics is pretty much nil
      but I did turn this up on the web:

      http://www.norse-man.net/Marvel/Char-M/Modred.htm

      It's for game play but may be of some use.

      Regards,
      Mark
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
        Michael, I've only seen a couple of Mordred's Marvel UK appearances
        (Hulk Weekly episodes reprinted in the second Marvel UK Captain
        Britain title), but I would identify him as the traditional Arthurian
        character -- the same version as has appeared in the US Marvel
        Universe books (Avengers, Black Knight miniseries, etc.)

        Alan
      • mtorregrossa@att.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
          Alan,

          I've seen maybe 8 of the UK stories (including all those in Captain
          Britain), and I tend to think it is a different Modred because he is
          a magician. Maybe the UK Modred is a variant of Modred the Mystic,
          but I cannot see him as the same as the Arthurian Mordred. On what
          evidence do you connect the two? (Maybe you, or someone else on the
          list, has seen the particular issue with a definitive answer.)

          Respectfully,
          Michael

          --- In arthurian_comixlist@y..., "Alan Stewart" <merrygawain@y...>

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
            OK.  First, I have the entire HULK run and the Modred in them is the same
            Modred that is in the Marvel Chillers, etc.  MORDRED is a different
            character, as seen in the first 3 issues of the new volume of the AVENGERS.
            Both characters are listed in different listings in the MARVEL character
            listings.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 20, 2001
              Great!  Thanks, Rodney.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 23, 2001
                --- In arthurian_comixlist@y..., mtorregrossa@a... wrote:

                > I've seen maybe 8 of the UK stories (including all those in Captain
                > Britain), and I tend to think it is a different Modred because he
                is
                > a magician. Maybe the UK Modred is a variant of Modred the Mystic,
                > but I cannot see him as the same as the Arthurian Mordred. On what
                > evidence do you connect the two? (Maybe you, or someone else on
                the
                > list, has seen the particular issue with a definitive answer.)

                My identification of the Marvel UK Modred with the Arthurian
                Mordred (Modred, Medraut) is based primarily on Marvel Super-
                Heroes #17. In this story, "Modred the Evil" (please note spelling)
                is identified in a flashback as Arthur's nephew and enemy. Modred
                kills the original Black Knight, Percy of Scandia, during his final
                assault on Arthur's forces. Merlin casts a spell which ensures that
                Percy's spirit will live on through another "when the spirit of
                Modred
                the Evil once more stalks the land." In the present day, Modred
                appears to Paul Richarde and magically empowers him to become
                the villain Le Sabre. After the new Black Knight (Dane Whitman)
                defeats Le Sabre, Modred is confronted by the Nether Gods, who,
                in his words, "gave my spirit the power to walk once more amongst
                men!" (Compare this scene with the description of Modred in the
                first chapter of the Marvel UK Black Knight serial as reprinted in
                Captain Britain #12: "Modred! Prime mover of darkness...
                enthralled by the Nether Gods to battle ever for power over the
                minds of men...")

                Modred also appears in this guise in Defenders (vol. 1) #11 (the
                issue which brings Dane Whitman to the 12th century), and
                all of these events are sketched in flashback in the first issue
                of the Black Knight miniseries, in which the continuity-
                minded writer Roy Thomas helpfully standardizes the spelling
                of the character's name as Mordred to minimize confusion
                with Modred the Mystic.

                All that said, I'm not sure what to make of Rodney's assertion
                that the Modred in the Marvel UK Black Knight series is the
                character introduced in Marvel Chillers #1. On the other
                hand, I've only read the three installments reprinted in
                Captain Britain #12-14, while Rodney has the whole Hulk
                Weekly run. So -- Rodney, can you enlighten us further?
                What's the specific evidence in the stories that links this
                Modred with the Darkhold-possessed Marvel character?

                Respectfully yours,
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 23, 2001
                  Alan,

                  Give me a bit of time to review the whole thing and I'll get back to you!