Marvel UK Modred

  • mtorregrossa@att.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 15, 2001
      Hi. If anyone is out there, what can you tell me about the sorcerer
      Mordred from 'Hulk Comics' and 'Captain Britain' Vol. 2. I'm noting
      the comics versions of Modred (Marvel UK and Marvel Comics' Modred
      the Mystic) for my essay of Mordred in film, and I'd like to be able
      to cite some sort of reference (either print or online) since Alan
      does not list him.

      I am connecting the comics' Modred to the Mordred in 'Merlin: The
      Return' (thanks Bert) and from the old 'Spider-man and His Amazing
      Friends Episode'.

      Thanks,
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2001

        My understanding is that Modred and Mordred are two different characters.
        Mordred is the traditional Arthurian character, while Modred was an
        apprentice wizard of a rival of Merlin's.  Do you have information that
        states that this is different?

        Rodney
      • Mark Burgess
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2001
          Hi Michael and all,

          I'm new to the list and my knowledge of Arthurian comics is pretty much nil
          but I did turn this up on the web:

          http://www.norse-man.net/Marvel/Char-M/Modred.htm

          It's for game play but may be of some use.

          Regards,
          Mark
        • mtorregrossa@att.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 18, 2001
            Rodney,

            No new information on Modred/Mordred, but I am putting in a footnote
            suggesting that the comic Modreds might have influenced the Mordred
            in 'Merlin The Return'.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
              Michael, I've only seen a couple of Mordred's Marvel UK appearances
              (Hulk Weekly episodes reprinted in the second Marvel UK Captain
              Britain title), but I would identify him as the traditional Arthurian
              character -- the same version as has appeared in the US Marvel
              Universe books (Avengers, Black Knight miniseries, etc.)

              Alan
            • mtorregrossa@att.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
                Alan,

                I've seen maybe 8 of the UK stories (including all those in Captain
                Britain), and I tend to think it is a different Modred because he is
                a magician. Maybe the UK Modred is a variant of Modred the Mystic,
                but I cannot see him as the same as the Arthurian Mordred. On what
                evidence do you connect the two? (Maybe you, or someone else on the
                list, has seen the particular issue with a definitive answer.)

                Respectfully,
                Michael

                --- In arthurian_comixlist@y..., "Alan Stewart" <merrygawain@y...>

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
                  OK.  First, I have the entire HULK run and the Modred in them is the same
                  Modred that is in the Marvel Chillers, etc.  MORDRED is a different
                  character, as seen in the first 3 issues of the new volume of the AVENGERS.
                  Both characters are listed in different listings in the MARVEL character
                  listings.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 20, 2001
                    Great!  Thanks, Rodney.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 23, 2001
                      --- In arthurian_comixlist@y..., mtorregrossa@a... wrote:

                      > I've seen maybe 8 of the UK stories (including all those in Captain
                      > Britain), and I tend to think it is a different Modred because he
                      is
                      > a magician. Maybe the UK Modred is a variant of Modred the Mystic,
                      > but I cannot see him as the same as the Arthurian Mordred. On what
                      > evidence do you connect the two? (Maybe you, or someone else on
                      the
                      > list, has seen the particular issue with a definitive answer.)

                      My identification of the Marvel UK Modred with the Arthurian
                      Mordred (Modred, Medraut) is based primarily on Marvel Super-
                      Heroes #17. In this story, "Modred the Evil" (please note spelling)
                      is identified in a flashback as Arthur's nephew and enemy. Modred
                      kills the original Black Knight, Percy of Scandia, during his final
                      assault on Arthur's forces. Merlin casts a spell which ensures that
                      Percy's spirit will live on through another "when the spirit of
                      Modred
                      the Evil once more stalks the land." In the present day, Modred
                      appears to Paul Richarde and magically empowers him to become
                      the villain Le Sabre. After the new Black Knight (Dane Whitman)
                      defeats Le Sabre, Modred is confronted by the Nether Gods, who,
                      in his words, "gave my spirit the power to walk once more amongst
                      men!" (Compare this scene with the description of Modred in the
                      first chapter of the Marvel UK Black Knight serial as reprinted in
                      Captain Britain #12: "Modred! Prime mover of darkness...
                      enthralled by the Nether Gods to battle ever for power over the
                      minds of men...")

                      Modred also appears in this guise in Defenders (vol. 1) #11 (the
                      issue which brings Dane Whitman to the 12th century), and
                      all of these events are sketched in flashback in the first issue
                      of the Black Knight miniseries, in which the continuity-
                      minded writer Roy Thomas helpfully standardizes the spelling
                      of the character's name as Mordred to minimize confusion
                      with Modred the Mystic.

                      All that said, I'm not sure what to make of Rodney's assertion
                      that the Modred in the Marvel UK Black Knight series is the
                      character introduced in Marvel Chillers #1. On the other
                      hand, I've only read the three installments reprinted in
                      Captain Britain #12-14, while Rodney has the whole Hulk
                      Weekly run. So -- Rodney, can you enlighten us further?
                      What's the specific evidence in the stories that links this
                      Modred with the Darkhold-possessed Marvel character?

                      Respectfully yours,
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 23, 2001
                        Alan,

                        Give me a bit of time to review the whole thing and I'll get back to you!