New Comics March and April

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2001
      As promised a while back here are the details on the new books solicited last month with the details about books listed in April's Previews

      March (shipping in May)

      Image-Top Cow
      Butcher Knight No. 4 (of 4) by Charles Holland (wr), Dwayne Turner (penc. and ink), and Steve Firchow (col).  $2.95.

      Merlin-Barnabus London vs. Daria; Daria and Butcher Knight vs. Merlin.  The promo ends with the claim: "The exciting final issue of this series will reveal all including just who Luther Washington is and his connection to Butcher Knight."

      Tomb Raider TPB Vol. II: Mystic Artifacts by Paul Jenkins (wr.), Andy Park (pen), Jonathan Sibal (ink), and Jonathan D. Smith (col.).  136 pp.  $19.95.

      Rpts Tomb Raider Nos. 5-10.  As noted on this list, Nos. 5-6 contain Lara's quest to find the Merlin Stone.  {Those who have read these issues, does the Tomb Raider Merlin resemble the one in Butcher Knight.  According to Dark Crossings, they exist in the same universe.]

      Image
      Spawn: The Dark Ages No. 27.  $2.50.
      Arthurian content unknown.  This issue does feature Cogliostro, who is somehow also Merlin (see list archives for details).

      Marvel
      No Arthurian comics, but it is perhaps interesting to note that Marvel is relaunching its X-men line this month with books by top comics creators like Grant Morrison/Frank Quietly, Joe Casey/Ian Churchill, Chris Claremont/Salvador Larroca, "X"/Essad Ribic, and Peter Milligan/Mike Allred.  (If you remember from last month, J. Michael Straczynski of B5 fame started work on Amazing Spider-man.

      Crossgen
      Scion Volume 1 TPB.  $19.95.
      Rpts. Nos. 1-7.  The series is set on a world named Avalon, and the hero, Ethan, has brothers with names similar to Arthur and Kay.

      Magazines
      Sci-Fi Volume 8 #1 (Sovereign Media).  $4.99.
      Preview of TNT's Mists of Avalon

      Books
      The Merriest Knight by Theodore Goodridge Roberts (Green Knight Publishing).  $21.95.
      Collects all of Robert's Dinadian tales including the unpublished "Quest's End."

      April (shipping in June)

      Dark Horse Comics
      The Ring of the Nibelung: Gotterdammerung No. 1 (of 4) by P. Craig Russell.  $2.99.

      Image
      Spawn: The Dark Ages No. 28.  $2.50.
      See No. 27 above.

      Fantagraphics
      Prince Valiant Volume 42: Arn's Trip to Thule by Hal Foster and John Cullen Murphy.  Tabloid.  $16.95.
      Rpts. strips from 1972-73.

      Oni Press
      Oni Press Color Special 2001 by Various.  BSF.  48 pp.  $5.95.
      The detectives from Powers investigate the death of Madman.  Featuring guest appearances by numerous creator-owned characters, including Matt Wagner's Kevin Matchstick from MAGE

      Addendum:

      1)  For those of you who have not picked up Top Cow's Dark Crossings BSF Nos. 1-2, these series features the first appearance of Luther Washington-Lancelot/Butcher Knight and perhaps brings new meaning to the term "the Black Knight."  Issue one includes a flashback to the fall of Camelot--Merlin punishes Lancelot by imprisoning him into the form of the Butcher Knight gargoyle (much like Jack Kirby's Merlin imprisoned Etrigan into the body of Jason Blood--both characters also require a "catchy" spell to effect their transformation into the superhuman alter ego).  Issue 2 includes an interview with series creators.

      2)  The Grail makes an appearance (of sorts) in Humberto Ramos' Crimson No. 24.  In the last issue of the series, Alex Elder and Eksimus (sp.) finally defeat Lisilth (sp.).  A panel on the last few pages suggests that Alex will discover the Grail using the map branded onto the angel Zophiel's face, and by drinking from the Grail, Alex will be able to regain his humanity and return to the family he misses so much.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2001
        --- In arthurian_comixlist@y..., "Michael Torregrossa"
        <mtorregrossa@a...> wrote:

        > Tomb Raider TPB Vol. II: Mystic Artifacts by Paul Jenkins (wr.),
        Andy Park
        (pen), Jonathan Sibal (ink), and Jonathan D. Smith (col.). 136 pp.
        $19.95.

        > Rpts Tomb Raider Nos. 5-10. As noted on this list, Nos. 5-6
        contain Lara's
        quest to find the Merlin Stone. {Those who have read these issues,
        does the
        Tomb Raider Merlin resemble the one in Butcher Knight. According to
        Dark
        Crossings, they exist in the same universe.]

        Merlin only appears for a panel or two (in flashback). He doesn't
        look like the
        Butcher Knight/Dark Crossings version, but nothing else in the Tomb
        Raider story
        contradicts the BK continuity.

        Alan
      • Paul Duggy Duggan
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2001
          > > As noted on this list, Nos. 5-6 contain Lara's
          > >quest to find the Merlin Stone. {Those who have read these issues,
          > >does the
          > >Tomb Raider Merlin resemble the one in Butcher Knight. According >to
          >Dark Crossings, they exist in the same universe.]

          >Merlin only appears for a panel or two (in flashback). He doesn't
          >look like the
          >Butcher Knight/Dark Crossings version, but nothing else in the Tomb
          >Raider story contradicts the BK continuity.

          Can the Dark Crossings continuity be called the Top Cow Universe? I recall
          TR crossing over with Fathom & Witchblade, and Witchblade crossing over with
          Darkness...

          Or does it have another name... [Sometimes these things are easier if you
          pin the universe's name down...]

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2001
            --- In arthurian_comixlist@y..., "Paul "Duggy" Duggan" <DuggyAS@h...>
            > Can the Dark Crossings continuity be called the Top Cow Universe?
            I recall
            > TR crossing over with Fathom & Witchblade, and Witchblade crossing
            over with
            > Darkness...
            >
            > Or does it have another name... [Sometimes these things are easier
            if you
            > pin the universe's name down...]

            I don't know if Top Cow claims to be building a
            "universe" or not -- obviously, the characters share a
            continuity when they cross over, but Tomb Raider is a
            licensed property. Witchblade and The Darkness have
            crossed over a lot with each other, but they have also
            crossed over with Aliens and Predator -- who in turn
            have crossed over with Batman, Superman, Tarzan,
            etc., and I don't think that anyone would want to
            claim that *all* of these characters share the same
            fictional universe.

            I should probably point out that the only non-
            Arthurian Top Cow book I read regularly is
            Rising Stars (which seems to take place in its
            own universe), so I'm hardly an expert on the line.

            Alan
          • DuggyAS@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 24, 2001
              --- In arthurian_comixlist@y..., "Alan Stewart" <merrygawain@y...>
              wrote:
              > I don't know if Top Cow claims to be building a
              > "universe" or not -- obviously, the characters share a
              > continuity when they cross over,

              Not being a reader of Top Cow I wouldn't know...

              > but Tomb Raider is a licensed property.

              Hasn't stopped companies in the past (although, you'd think that'd
              have learnt.)

              > Witchblade and The Darkness have
              > crossed over a lot with each other, but they have also
              > crossed over with Aliens and Predator -- who in turn
              > have crossed over with Batman, Superman, Tarzan,
              > etc., and I don't think that anyone would want to
              > claim that *all* of these characters share the same
              > fictional universe.

              Certainly not... the only thing I know for sure about the above is
              that Superman/Aliens actually was part of the DCUniverse. The rest I
              *assume* are set in a crossover continuity.

              > I should probably point out that the only non-
              > Arthurian Top Cow book I read regularly is
              > Rising Stars (which seems to take place in its
              > own universe), so I'm hardly an expert on the line.

              Which is a Top Cow/Joe's Comics title now...
            • DuggyAS@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 9, 2001
                wrote:

                > I don't know if Top Cow claims to be building a
                > "universe" or not --

                From the CSNsider page:

                "Readers are also invited to explore Top Cow's Universe! in August.
                This major event from Paul Jenkins and Clayton Crain not only helps to
                unify the worlds of Top Cow, but it will lead to the launch of four
                new titles."

                That is not to say the Tomb Raider will be part of it, but it may
                bring us closer to an answer that this question.

                ---
                - Dug.
                ---