Is the Black Knight Prince Valiant?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hello,

      I apologize for starting a new discussion without having responded to your replies about my query on Batman.  I promise to get to them by the weekend.

      I was recently watching the original Prince Valiant film (1954).  I was surprised to learn that in this film, Valiant hails from Scandia, since that is where Marvel Comics's Black Knight is said to come from.  Did Stan Lee "borrow" from the film or is the Scandia origin for Sir Percy a later addition to the legend.  If no one knows, I suppose we could always ask Stan himself.

      Thanks,
      Michael

      Michael A. Torregrossa, M. A.
      34 Second Street
      Smithfield, RI 02917-3627

      Websites:
      The Arthurian Comic Book Discussion List Homepage
       http://home.att.net/~torregrossa/comichome.htm

      The Bokewyrm's Guide to Medieval Studies on the Internet
       http://home.att.net/~bokewyrm/

      Camelot 3000 and Beyond:  An Annotated Bibliography of Arthurian Comic Books Published in the United States c. 1980-1998.  Part of "The Arthuriana / Camelot Project Bibliographies."  (Revised edition now online.)
       http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/acpbibs/comicbib.htm

      Teaching the Legend of King Arthur in the Twenty-first Century: A Basic Reference Guide
       http://home.att.net/~torregrossa/

      'Young Indiana Jones:  Travels With Father' (1996)

      Nikos Kazantzakis: "Well, your father is living in the Dark Ages!"

      Young Indy:   "Almost--My father is a medievalist."
    • Nastali@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
        Since that comic book series was in the works at the time the film came out,
        Stan Lee may very well have lifted "Scandia" from Prince Valiant, although
        it's just as probable that he liked the rather heroic and non-geographically
        specific sound of the word.  As far as I know, Scandia is just an archaic
        form of Scandinavia, and though I didn't remember that the film had Prince
        Valiant's original home there, it certainly suits his "Viking" origins.  In
        the comics, Valiant was from Thule, which is just another remote,
        non-specific place somewhere in Scandinavia.

        Dan