Re: Questions about TPB (Prince Valiant, etc.)

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22, 2000
      The difficulty in recommending one "particularly Arthurian" volume of
      Fantagraphics' "Prince Valiant" is due to the nature of the original
      material -- like most continuity newspaper strips, it's an ongoing,
      never-ending serial -- and the way it's been packaged for reprinting
      -- 45 strips per volume. Some story arcs begin and end within one
      volume, while others continue from one to another. And the Arthurian
      content waxes and wanes throughout.

      That said, you might want to try Vol. 27, "The Eternal Quest," which
      involves Val in the quest for the Holy Grail, or Vol. 32, "The Battle
      of Badon Hill," which features Hal Foster's take on Arthur's most
      famous "historical" military victory.

      But -- if you're looking for another comic in paperback format to use
      in your course -- have you considered the two Arthurian volumes of
      "Martin Mystery" from Dark Horse? Both are available from
      NextPlanetOver for $4.95. In addition to featuring an unusual SF take
      on Merlin, Arthur, et al, the story is an expression of the legend in
      the popular culture of another country, which we don't see very often
      in America.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2000
        Alan,

        Thanks for the information. I was hoping the 'Avengers' book had included
        some of the earlier material.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2000
          Alan,

          Thanks for your recommendations on the 'Prince Valiant'. I don't yet have
          these books, but I have the 'Martin Mystery' at home (still unread).

          What do you (or any one else on list) think about Vols 1 or 2 or 'Prince
          Valiant'.?

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 28, 2000
            --- In arthurian_comixlist@egroups.com, "Michael Torregrossa" <mtorregrossa@a...> wrote:

            > What do you (or any one else on list) think about Vols 1 or 2 or 'Prince
            > Valiant'.?

            Volumes One and Two are probably fine, as they introduce Valiant and relate his career as Sir Gawain's squire as well as
            how he first comes to Camelot. There are appearances by Arthur, Guinevere, and (I'm pretty sure) Merlin and Morgan.

            The main reason I didn't mention them before is that I don't actually own the Fantagraphics volumes -- I bought the
            oversize Manuscript Press editions of the strip's first two years when they were published in the '80's, and I haven't looked
            at them lately (they're hard to store and to handle properly -- but gorgeous!).

            Al
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 29, 2000
              Rodney,

              The MAGE books Vol. 1 are $7.00 each.  I imagine I could get away with just #7 (Rpts. 13-14), but I think the tale is much better told complete from #1.

              Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 10:17 PM
              Subject: Re: [arthurian_comixlist] Questions about TPB

              Michael,

              MAGE, too expensive???  Even in the trade paperback reprints???  With the
              VERY good possibility of a MAGE movie, and the fact that it and CAMELOT 3000
              are probably the best of the litter, what else will you use???

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2000
                Alan,

                Thanks again for the suggestions. I was thinking of these 2 issues in terms
                of the FAM-TV series and wondering if they presented Valiant and his friends
                quest to find Camelot (reference to that awful Warner Bros. film is not
                intentional). I have #2, and I see it has Valiant already at Camelot and
                appearances by Merlin and Morgan.