Re: introduction

  • Heartland Images
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
      >Whew. I feel so much better now that I know you work
      >in the med. field. You had all those ulnar deviations
      >and such that I HEARD our dr say but would NEVER be
      >able to remember what and where...

      Being an x-ray technologist has definitely been a plus in this situation.
      It makes it easier for the ortho to discuss what is happening. Leah's
      grandma(the OT) went with us this week for the cast change so she could
      discuss the splints she had made for Leah's hands. The discussion between
      her and the doctor was interesting, even if I couldn't follow all of it :).
      We're grateful that the grandma made a mid-life career change and went into OT.

      >sometimes the genes just mutate on their own, that it
      >isn't necessarily passed down. SHE has a 50/50 chance
      >to pass it on but we don't have the gene. She has

      This is what we think happened in Melissa's family. The mutation occurred
      in her father, who passed it to Melissa, who passed it to Leah. Nobody else
      before her father had the condition. The ortho says 50/50 for us to pass it
      along again, and 50/50 for Leah. We're not sure what else genetic
      counseling can tell us. We'd have to go to St. Louis( 8 hr) if we want to
      go through with it.

      thanks,
      Happy New Year!!!
      Rob, Melissa, and Leah(2 weeks old today) Graham
      Heartland Images
      Great Bend, KS
      http://www.heartland-images.com
    • tviandb
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008
        Hi there...I wanted to introduce myself. I sent a letter a little
        while ago, but it was never approved by the moderator so I'm trying
        again.

        Anyhow, I am contemplating adoption of a 9 year old from Latvia who has
        arthroyposis. I have a very good handle on what her current ability
        level is and what her current needs are. However, I was curious about
        the future need for therapies, surgeries and other complications that
        may arise.

        Just so you know, she is affected in wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips,
        knees and ankles. Her jaw is not affected...she talks about a mile a
        minute...I just don't understand much of it since I don't speak
        Latvian!

        Any help you can offer would be great. Thank you very much.
        Christine K.