itchy/bleeding feet

  • pipkin55
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2009
      Hi. My daughter is 10, has AMC and wears AFOs. She's sposed to wear them 24/7 but b/c of
      skin issues we have discontinued night use temporarily on her orthotist's recommendation.
      After about 2 weeks her skin seemed better but then it got itchy again after removing her
      AFOs and she's got bleeding spots again!! We have been dealing with this off and on for
      probably 6 years. We've been to dermatologists and gotten steroid cream which helps until
      she scratches again. We have the special gray socks (anti-microbial etc. whatever they are)
      that cost like $13 a pair that she wears 95% of the time. The orthotists put holes in her afos
      to help them breathe better and used some kind of diabetic foam in them recently. I am at
      my wit's end and don't know what to do!! Help!
      Paula, mom of Sarah
    • Doris Heckert

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2009
          Hi I was just curious where in your childs feet are they bleeding?  Are they pressure points from the AFOs or just skin breakdown?  Maybe the AFOs are not fitting the way they should.  For them to create bleeding probably means they are putting a lot of pressure on the feet by attempting to correct them more then possible.  My son wears AFOs and has them specialized because the bones on the top part of his feet is moving out, his equino is starting to come back, but even with these special AFOs placing pressure on the top bone attempting to keep it down, he doesn´t experience any bleeding.  I can imagine how frustrating that must be, and how painful for your little one.  Just to let you know also, Santi my son should wear his 24/7 also but his latest doctor actually told him to take a break in them for a couple hours a day and walk around the house barefoot. He mentioned that by not wearing them a few hours helps to build up the muscles that the
          AFOs don´t let him use while wearing them.  Santi has major hypotonia of his muscles and if he doesn´t fortify them continually, they get worse..  That was the main reason the doc told us to take them off a few hours a day.  I´m not sure if your child is mobile or not, but you might want to check into that option with your doctor.    Good luck and I hope you find a remedy.
          Sincerely,
          Kelli and Santiago