Few words of encouragement...

  • gimpcomic
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2006
      Hello Everyone -

      Awhile ago I introduced myself to the group, but I will again for
      new members who may not know who I am. My name is Steve Krause, I
      am 26, and I live in Phoenix, AZ. I was born with Arthrogryposis in
      both my arms and legs and am confined to a wheelchair. I have been
      doing stand-up, well sit-down, comedy for a few years now and have
      been performing all over the country in places like the Ny NY in
      Vegas to Universal Studios, Orlando. I have also been doing
      motivational speaking and plan on pursuing it further. In my travels
      I have met alot of disabled people, parents of disabled children,
      brothers/sisters who have a disabled sibling, and grandparents of
      disabled grandchildren.

      Within talking to these different groups of people I have come
      across alot of great stories. Also, stories of struggles and
      emotions. Everytime they have expressed how they love their
      child/sibling/grandchild but have expressed their struggles. It is
      human nature for us all to struggle with our situations and some may
      be struggling right now. Which is why, if you'll allow me, to give
      you a few words of encouragement.

      I was at Universal Studios Orlando performing, and afterwards a lady
      came up to me crying. I asked her what the problem was and she
      said, ''my grandson was born with cerebal palsy.'' My immediate
      feeling was shame because I had poked fun at Jerry Lewis in my act.
      I quickly apologized and she stopped me and said, "No, no, no,
      that's not the reason I am crying, I am crying because he is a
      newborn, he's the first disabled child in our family and we don't
      know what to do. We were really scared, but after watching you
      perform I realize that disabled people can still grow up to live a
      full life. You're not letting your disability stop you from
      achieving your goals." I immediatly stopped shaking hands with
      other people waiting and I asked her and her husband to come outside
      with me. We sat down and I explained to them my outlook on life of
      Road Blocks vs. Speed Bumps.

      Road Blocks - Having a disability we have different ways to view
      that challenge. If we view our disability as a "road block" then we
      are allowing it to stop us from accomplishing our dreams. If we let
      it get the best of us, than we will fall into anger, self-pitty,
      resentment, and bitterness. We will become angry at the world and
      the people closest to us. We will allow it to stop us from getting
      that job we want, getting those good grades in school, making new
      friends, and accomplishing anything we put our minds too.

      Speed Bumps - Personally this is how I view my life having a
      disability. Do I have a disability? yes. Is it difficult to do
      things? Yes. Are there physical things I can't do? Yes. Am I going
      to let it get the best of me? NO! My disability is just a bump in
      the road. I need to except it, overcome it, and move on. A "speed
      bump" does not stop your car from achieving its destination, it just
      slows it down. My disability is just another obstacle to overcome.
      If I put my mind, heart, and soul in a task I can accomplish
      anything!

      Ever since I met that couple I have kept in touch with them. Their
      attitudes have changed from afraid to positive. I encourage all of
      you to keep a positive outlook on life. Times may be tough, but
      look to the future. Encourage one another. Parents encourage your
      child, let them know that they can accomplish anything.

      Sorry, its more than a few words, but I hope it helps. Feel free
      anytime to email me at shortbuscomic@... if you need a pick-me-
      up or words of encouragement.

      Steve
      "Happiness is not a choice, it's a life-style"
    • Lisa Lumley ( McLean)
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2006
        THANKS ...Words to remember..............