Re: [Arthrogryposis Support Group] Disability Benefits

  • AMC
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi Dean

      Check this out. This might help you with your questions...
      http://www.disabilitysecrets.com

      Dean Cascio <deancascio@...> wrote:
      I'm in California. My eight week old, Giovanni, has AMC. We have applied to SSI and have been accepted. I make a good wage but Gio has four siblings. When I first called, the worker on the phone told me Gio would not qualify for any benefits. I thought to myself if all of the foreigners qualify for these entitlement programs Gio should as well. I drove over to our local office and applied. Guess what? He did. I think the system is structured to turn away as many people as possible.Even if you qualify. When I applied for our state programs for disabled children I got the same run around but Gio is going to get PT and OT from the state program. There is no one who will fight for your child except for you. You have to become his or her advocate.

      The SSI case worker has sent Gio's case to San Diego for a final medical evaluation to decide how much he will receive. The worker told us the medical evaluation will take three months. Does anyone know if this sounds right? Three months?
      We also applied for Med-Cal and Gio has full coverage, HMO style coverage. But there are no Children's orthopedic doctors in the program in our county. The case worker has told us you have to go with your county's program, but when you read the paper work there is an exemption form at the back of the booklet. Guess what that's for? Gio has been seeing an orthopedic DR. down in Orange County so we have filed an exemption request with Med-Cal so Gio can keep being treated by his current Dr. If our request is accepted we will have Med-Cal pay our deductible for our insurance. It would save Med-Cal and the people of California a lot of money.
      Good luck and keep fighting.
      PS
      Happy New Year to everyone.
      Dean

      calsie_mom wrote:
      Hi, I have an eight year old daughter with AMC. Are there any programs
      for children with this disorder. We applied for SSI and were denied,
      we do have personal insurance through my husbands work but as you know
      even co-pays and deductibles add up quickly. She is getting taller and
      has trouble getting in and out of vehicles, in and out of the tub, and
      can't go up and down the steps to our home. seh falls easily and we
      ans we really need a type of ramp for her. Can someone please give me
      advice on how to find programs to help us and does anyone know if a
      child with AMC qualifies for disability? We live in North Carolina, I
      am not sure if there are programs here or not. THANKS SO MUCH!!

      Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled vans Learning disabled Disabled products

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • AMC