Re: glass kiln

  • henlaojim
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2006
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Kris Fontes" <kfontes2@...>
      wrote:

      > Found some extra money in our budget so we are looking for a glass
      > kiln...any suggestions?

      It depends on what yu want to do, what kind of glass work you want to
      do, but I used to have a big pottery kiln that had a set of controls
      by which you could very carefully regulate the heat. It had three
      sets of coils with knobs that changed the percent of time the coils
      were on in some period of time. This couple with a good pyrometer
      that had a readout in degrees celcius allowed you to regulate the neat
      very nicely either in rising or falling, often important with the
      glass.

      Any kiln is fine if the controls are good. You don't want to fire
      glass by cone and you don't want a kiln that shuts off with open vents
      for gas which will cool quickly.