Re: Program for high school students to teach art to upper elementary

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2006
      Great Idea!
      Teachers might appreciate a curriculum tie in too.

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Galyk <mgalyk@...> wrote:

      > Hi, all,
      > School is out, but I am pondering something new for next year. Our elementary has no
      art teacher. (I was it. When the HS teacher retired I moved up and they discontinued the
      elementary program.) I would like too start a program where 2-3 high school students
      (advanced art) go over and spend a day at the elementary teaching art to 4th, 5th and 6th
      graders. I choose the upper grades, because the primary teachers do a really good job of
      incorporating art into their lessons and the upper grades just don't do as much.

      > Have any of you done anything along these lines? I am thinking they would do a short
      art history lesson (introduce an artist) and then do a related project. They would have to
      research the artist, prepare the lesson, plan the project, etc. I think our elementary
      teachers would be open to this, but I woould check with them first..