Program for high school students to teach art to upper elementary

  • Marianne Galyk
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27 7:32 PM
      Hi, all,
      School is out, but I am pondering something new for next year. Our elementary has no art teacher. (I was it. When the HS teacher retired I moved up and they discontinued the elementary program.) I would like too start a program where 2-3 high school students (advanced art) go over and spend a day at the elementary teaching art to 4th, 5th and 6th graders. I choose the upper grades, because the primary teachers do a really good job of incorporating art into their lessons and the upper grades just don't do as much.

      Have any of you done anything along these lines? I am thinking they would do a short art history lesson (introduce an artist) and then do a related project. They would have to research the artist, prepare the lesson, plan the project, etc. I think our elementary teachers would be open to this, but I woould check with them first..

      Suggestions please!
      Thanks,
      Marianne in Ohio

    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28 7:47 AM
        Hi Marianne,
        Many years ago our elem. schools had no art teacher either.   A fourth grade teacher called the HS art teacher and asked for a high school student to come to her class once a week and teach art.   I was the student picked.    I fell in love with those students and I fell in love with teaching art.   Because of that,  I decided to go into art education.
        Unfortunately I had no help or guidance preparing my lessons (my high school art teacher was an alcoholic who really liked kids but seldom actually taught anything)  so the lessons I taught were pretty weak but the kids loved it and the experience was wonderful.
        I encourage you to pursue this idea and to support your students in lesson preparation.   It's a win-win for everybody!!
        Sincerely,
        Cindy Erickson

        Message 3 of 3 , May 30 7:07 AM
          Great Idea!
          Teachers might appreciate a curriculum tie in too.