Black glue line lesson plans??

  • Beth Weiss Morris
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10 2:39 PM
      I have recently seen some work done (elementary) with black glue lines
      and maybe pastels?? I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for
      using black glue lines in a project. I am going to be doing a summer
      camp and trying to find some new and diffent ideas. Thanks!!

      Beth
    • Ginny
      Message 2 of 9 , May 10 5:53 PM
        Beth -
        My third graders created self-portraits using black glue over their
        drawing lines. We used black construction paper, and soft pastels
        were used to color the design to completely cover the paper. The
        pastels are so beautiful when blended right up to the glue lines
        with the students' fingertips. The backgrounds were amazing.

        My second graders used the same process on a smaller paper, and
        depicted patterns in nature.

        I didn't have black glue, but mixed india ink with Elmer's Glue-
        All. (I have read that the washable "school glue" becomes gummy
        when mixed with india ink, but I haven't tried it.)

        The students each had a damp rag to clean their fingertips between
        colors.

        Have fun... Ginny in Texas

        > I have recently seen some work done (elementary) with black glue
        lines
        > and maybe pastels?? I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for
        > using black glue lines in a project.
      • theresagillespie
        Message 3 of 9 , May 10 9:18 PM
          I have done glue lines(not black) on black construction paper with the soft pastels. These
          always look great. Because the paper is black the regular glue comes out looking like black
          glue. Fixative or hairspray also tends to make the glue shine.
          I also do a project with black glue lines over a drawing on white paper. I mix elmers with
          india ink. Yes the washable kind will not work - I wasted a lot of glue when the district
          switched to the washable glue. After the glue is dry - (the next class) we use watercolor
          in and around the glue lines. The results are great. If we have the time - I let the students
          take this one step further and add some fine black marker or pen lines to the dry painting.
          I talk about using good line quality and creating a variety of lines.
          The students are excited about being able to draw with glue.

          Have fun!
          Theresa
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Weiss Morris" <bethmorris1125@...>
          wrote:

          > I have recently seen some work done (elementary) with black glue lines
          > and maybe pastels?? I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for
          > using black glue lines in a project. I am going to be doing a summer
          > camp and trying to find some new and diffent ideas. Thanks!!
          >
          > Beth

        • KATHY TROTT
          Message 4 of 9 , May 11 5:34 AM
            Black glue lines and payons (water soluble crayons) create bright bold
            images and give younger ones raised lines to keep the colors from
            blending totally together.

            >>> bethmorris1125@... 05/10/06 05:39PM >>>
            I have recently seen some work done (elementary) with black glue lines

            and maybe pastels?? I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for
            using black glue lines in a project. I am going to be doing a summer
            camp and trying to find some new and diffent ideas. Thanks!!

            Beth

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Bonnie Muir
            Message 5 of 9 , May 11 5:45 AM
              Check out the book "Glorious Glue" - Art with Adhesives by Paula Guhin.
              Projects combine glue with chalk, markers, paint and other media. Techniques include printmaking, collage, batiking w/o wax and sculpting with string and starch. It's a great book to have in your art room!

              Bonnie ~ Hopkinton, Ma

              wrote:

              > I have recently seen some work done (elementary) with black glue lines
              > and maybe pastels??  I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for
              > using black glue lines in a project.  I am going to be doing a summer
              > camp and trying to find some new and diffent ideas.  Thanks!!
              >
              > Beth

              Art educationFine artContinuing education
              Fine art posterFine art reproductionsFine arts education

            • Sue Stevens
              Message 6 of 9 , May 11 4:38 PM
                Hi,
                I use the glue technique with my seniors at highschool.  Check out the samples at

                I strongly recommned "Crayola Project Glue" - very thick, doesn't spread out like a lot of the glues.
                We used Crayola metalic twistable crayons by the way - work great on the black paper.

                I also recommend buying good quality black paper - school grade construction paper doesn't really have a good black surface.  I use a paper product called 'Hopper Hots" - comes in really large sheets - it's  thin card stock.  Super to work with - actually fade resistent - make for great display board backing paper!  I use that - only have to change it every two or three years!

                You do need to let the glue dry after 'drawing' with it - so you need somewhere for the work to sit flat.  Perhaps on the students desks overnight, it could be the last thing done in the day.  I have the students draw directly with glue on the paper (I have them stand, so they become part of the process more).  The next day, the glue is dry and they can work on it with the crayons.

                The results are always stunning, and have great 'ohh ahhh!" effect in the hallway!
                Good luck!

                Sue
              • Heather Martin
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12 12:54 PM
                  Where do you purchase the Hopper Hot paper ??
                  Sounds interesting.

                  Thanks,
                  Heather

                  On 5/11/06, Sue Stevens <suestevens@...> wrote:
[...]

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • Sheba
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 13 3:45 PM
                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Weiss Morris"
                    <bethmorris1125@...> wrote:> I have recently seen some work done
                    (elementary) with black glue lines > and maybe pastels??

                    I did mine with Middle school. I used elemers glue mixed with black
                    tempra paint. NOT the best, but I had tons of both and no money to
                    buy other supplies so I used what I had. They drew their faces (from
                    a digital printout) onto watercolor paper. Drew black glue over the
                    top of the lines. The drying was the hardest because they have to be
                    FLAT! my drying racks were slanted so some problems arose from that
                    and we had to get creative for drying space. They they filled in the
                    spaces between the glue with watercolors. Cool or warm was the
                    assignment.

                    here are some pics.

                    http://gallery.thevirtualclassroom.org/v/paper/?g2_page=3

                    I have updated my student galleries with some new stuff too.

                    Sheba~Cynthia Artist/ Educator "multi-faceted creative visionary"
                    The ART Site
                    http://www.sheba-kitty-productions.com/
                    The School Site
                    http://thevirtualclassroom.org/
                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 29, 2012
                      Cynthia,

                      I notice the link to your black glue lesson is no longer working. Have you moved your site to a new location?

                      Ken