RE: [art_education] wax shavings?

  • familyerickson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2006
      Batik!!

      A parent gave me a box of white wax shavings
      Any ideas?

    • Amy Broady
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2006
        The shavings will melt down a lot quicker than a big block.

        Earlier this year when I wanted to melt some beeswax, I purchased a
        little crock-pot-style appliance meant to keep food at serving
        temperature (not for cokking). I think I found it at the grocery store
        for under $15.

        Another resist idea: sprinkle the shavings across a sheet of paper or
        fabric, and use a heat tool (a craft one, not industrial, of course)
        to melt it in the random pattern. Then just brush over it--I'd use
        liquid watercolors, but if you don't have any, pan watercolors would
        work fine, too.

        Let us know what you decide to do with them! And if you don't use this
        this school year, make sure they are stored in a cool spot over the
        summer, or else you will have a big blob instead of shavings!

        Amy
        in TN