wax shavings?

  • Jeannette Anthos - JHH
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5 10:55 AM
      A parent gave me a box of white wax shavings
      Any ideas?

      Thanks!
      Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed
      Art Educator
      J. H. House Elementary School
      2930 Hwy. 20 North
      Conyers, GA 30012
      770-483-9504
      Fax: 770-483-0397
      www.artsonia.com/jhhouse1
      http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/

    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5 2:22 PM
        Batik!!

        A parent gave me a box of white wax shavings
        Any ideas?

      • Amy Broady
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7 3:55 PM
          The shavings will melt down a lot quicker than a big block.

          Earlier this year when I wanted to melt some beeswax, I purchased a
          little crock-pot-style appliance meant to keep food at serving
          temperature (not for cokking). I think I found it at the grocery store
          for under $15.

          Another resist idea: sprinkle the shavings across a sheet of paper or
          fabric, and use a heat tool (a craft one, not industrial, of course)
          to melt it in the random pattern. Then just brush over it--I'd use
          liquid watercolors, but if you don't have any, pan watercolors would
          work fine, too.

          Let us know what you decide to do with them! And if you don't use this
          this school year, make sure they are stored in a cool spot over the
          summer, or else you will have a big blob instead of shavings!

          Amy
          in TN