new 3D materials to try

  • cricket5157@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2006
      Hi Everyone,

      I first want to say thank you to all who post, I have really enjoyed reading them. I have learned so much that I have printed and filed many of your wonderful ideas. I want to share a new 3D material that I discovered at my favorite art store--the home improvement store. I wanted to use plastic canvas for miniature chairs that lower El is doing and I needed something for the legs and back---easy to bend, colorful wire that would fit through the holes snugly and safely. I cut the Pl/canvas 3" squares and the nice man at Home Depot showed me a 14 gauge wire that was perfect--cuts with good grown-up scissors-plastic coated, copper inside and it came in green, red, blue, black, yellow and white. I was in heaven.. It was very cheap too.  prepackaged- 17' was 2.50- you can also have them cut it @ .20 a yard. I will have the students glue beads on the ends to secure and protect them, it also adds a new element. I am doing a lesson inspired from Don King- a willow chair artist-Getty ED------I showed them a humorous pop chair designer-Peter Shire-check out the web site from LACMA Collections Online-----We are going to have a CHAIR PARK for our student show.

      I am just finishing the hanger and knee high sculpture lesson (I found it on the Incredible Art Dept site)-- with Upper El and I might use this 14 gauge wire next time and let the stockings remain transparent or we could dye the white ones that I had found at my grocery store--2 pair for $1.00.
      Re: papier mache flowers - I am experimenting with plain Knox gelatin and paper, stockings, etc------ my professor used it to size his canvas, like we use gesso, it stays transparent and is kid friendly.. But, I haven't put it to the test yet.

      Thanks again to all who take the time after a long day to post,

      Rebecca